• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello folks! New to me 1010. Injector Pump replacement issues!

tod0987

Hi guys. I'm a long time lurker back to 2011 from looking for a 715 years ago and then working on a buddy's m998 and grabbing the TMs for it.

I recently purchased an 84 M1010 with 4,300 miles that was converted into a camper. It was a USN 1010 and then it spent a few years as a FD truck near St. Louis for a FD to use at football games. The previous owner bought it and then fell out of touch with it. It has sat for over a year and no longer runs.

I've downloaded and been through all the TMs and I'm getting better at using them, mainly the 34p and 20p so I have exhausted some of those tips. I don't like to just hop on and ask simple questions without exausting my search abilities.

Previous to pulling the Injector pump (where I'm at now) I did replace the fuel, filter, have 8psi out of the mechanical pump, on/off selinoid, GP board is good, GPs were replaced with 60gs and they are heating up. No fuel was coming out of the IP so I pulled it and sent it to a shop in Wisconsin to be rebuilt. He called today and told me that the rotor is no good (likely the previous owner tried biodiesel and it ate away the metal while sitting) and I need to find a core to pull the rotor out of to rebuild mine.

My question is, is that the original 2829-4269 pump is supposedly setup to handle higher elevations with less oxygen, are there other models that have the same power? The 4269 is a hen's tooth. I believe the 1010 made more power than stock cucvs. I'm trying to figure out my options of find a core (to get the rotor) and have him rebuild mine to a new spec for where I'm at (sea level in NC) or to replace it with a new and have to eat the core charge.

Any help or recommendations is greatly appreciated, Thanks,

Tod

The previous owner had a 4" lift and 35" tires.
1000003327.jpg

He had it lined with sheep's wool insulation and cedar tongue and groove which stuck badly like an unkept barn so I've gutted it. The truck lost all of its ambulance interior prior to my acquisition.
1000003427.jpg

Last edited:

Barrman

I have never read that the M1010 had more power than the rest of the CUCV vehicles before. Nothing is mentioned in the manuals about that either. GM had 2 versions of the 6.2 back then. The EGR equipped low power version and the non EGR J code version in the CUCV trucks. The intake manifold was the only difference. Both had the same basic engine.

The high altitude difference you mentioned is more a matter of adjustable fuel rate and timing. There was an artic “kit” that had supposedly better consumable parts inside the IP. That special kit became the standard for all the IP’s at least 30 years ago.

You just want any DB2829 IP to use as a core. Here is a video I did about the IP identification and the numbers:

tod0987

I have never read that the M1010 had more power than the rest of the CUCV vehicles before. Nothing is mentioned in the manuals about that either. GM had 2 versions of the 6.2 back then. The EGR equipped low power version and the non EGR J code version in the CUCV trucks. The intake manifold was the only difference. Both had the same basic engine.

The high altitude difference you mentioned is more a matter of adjustable fuel rate and timing. There was an artic “kit” that had supposedly better consumable parts inside the IP. That special kit became the standard for all the IP’s at least 30 years ago.

You just want any DB2829 IP to use as a core. Here is a video I did about the IP identification and the numbers:

Thanks I'll check it out. I'll try and find the mention of turned up IP to handle the weight of the ambulance body.

tod0987

Tim I just had time to watch the video and realized I sub'd to your channel awhile back and watched many of your videos while trying to attempt to start this truck wrt priming and starting and replacing the solenoid etc. I love the 715 with the 6.2. Thanks for putting them together!

chevymike

Nope, there was no difference in the engines/IP/Tuning of an M1010 and any other CUCV's. They are all interchangeable, outside of the alternator and A/C brackets. That said, you can adjust the IP timing (the marks on the top of the pump, near where it mounts to the engine cover) which can add a slight amount of power more but at the risk of pistons running hotter.

0404211636a (2).jpg

tod0987

Nope, there was no difference in the engines/IP/Tuning of an M1010 and any other CUCV's. They are all interchangeable, outside of the alternator and A/C brackets. That said, you can adjust the IP timing (the marks on the top of the pump, near where it mounts to the engine cover) which can add a slight amount of power more but at the risk of pistons running hotter.

View attachment 918587
Thanks for the input. I'm starting to feel better about using one with different numbers still a DB2829 but with different following numbers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks