• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from Austin, TX

RichardR

I've been lurking and learning on this site for more than 2 years so I think it's time to say hello. Really a great bunch of guys/gals on here with more MV experience and knowledge than I will ever pick up. But I'll keep reading and learning.

I have a couple of old M35A2's that I use for clearing cedar trees on some rural acreage near Austin. The deuces aren't parade quality but they are pretty much complete and have been remarkably trouble-free for almost 2 years now. With the tips I have picked up on this site, I should be able to keep them going for as long as I need them. They will surely last longer than I am likely to.

I am astonished by the large number of SS members in the Central Texas area, and everywhere else in Texas for that matter. A big HELLO to you all! Let me know if you need some limited-experience help. I have lots of free time these days and enjoy playing with big machines.

Richard

RichardR

My gracious thanks to the welcoming committee, and especially to Fuzzytoaster. I suppose we could even become friends since I must be the only person in Austin who never attended ut (or is it "tu", I can't remember now.) Anyway, good to hear from you, and a little surprising since most of the locals here don't realize that Aggies can type. I'll straighten them out on that while I commiserate with them about the non-performing football team, and wait till next year.

I would be glad to help members with any reasonably-close emergencies, or inspections/retrievals at either Ft. Hood or Ft. Sam Houston. I won't be able to bring a deuce, though, because mine aren't street-legal. I bought them to use on the ranch, and unless I come down with serious green-fever, that is where they will have to stay. I have read so many threads about titling, licensing and insuring MVs that my head hurts, although I have the impression that it is a little easier here in TX than elsewhere.

Richard

RealCavDog

Welcome to the public side of the site, from the beautiful Missouri Ozarks !

I was dug in as an observer for a while also, but this is FAR more fun ! [thumbzup]

Pawnshop

Welcome aboard from Austin! You should come up to the airshow in Temple next weekend, you can fondle all sorts of Green Stuff AND meet several CenTex SS members face to face. We will be there from noonish Friday all the way through Sunday evening. We would love to see you!

a somewhat incomplete and off the top-o-my head list of attendees include:

Me (Pawnshop)- M109A3, M1009 w/M416
M813rc- M185A3, M1009, V100
Barrman- M715 w/M101A2
Quonsethut- M35A2 gun truck "BAD ASS"
jeepJeep- M36A3
Reloader64- M35A2 w/borrowed MKT85

I am sure there are others I have missed, and there will be many other FMVs owed by non SS members too

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking of members bringing vehicles, that is how you slipped through, and Tim is cooking! (I didn't forget him...)

You going the Deuce it up there?
I'm bringing a vehicle. It's just being hauled by someone else.

And while the deuce is running great, a 3 hour drive each way is not in the cards (either fuel wise or health wise).

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My gracious thanks to the welcoming committee, and especially to Fuzzytoaster. I suppose we could even become friends since I must be the only person in Austin who never attended ut (or is it "tu", I can't remember now.) Anyway, good to hear from you, and a little surprising since most of the locals here don't realize that Aggies can type. I'll straighten them out on that while I commiserate with them about the non-performing football team, and wait till next year.

Richard

Good to see s sense of humor.[thumbzup] rofl

Donald Poppell

Welcome from Middle Tennessee.

I was born in Austin and raised just South of San Antonio.

Easy on the Aggies.....My High School were the Aggies also. A few us can type. Hee Hee.

Glad to have you aboard.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks