• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from Chicago - m1009

gnick

Hi everyone.

just saying hello from the city of chicago.

I've posted a few times already in the CUCV forum about some things I've been working through on my new to me M1009. I picked it up about a month ago for 2500$ from a guy just outside the city. Its got 1 rusty fender apron, a drivers side rocker that's starting to go, and a couple dime sized holes behind the drivers seat, but otherwise pretty clean. Additionally, its got some malfunctioning gauges, some hacked up wiring, and some other oddball nonsense from the previous owner. Including a half installed power rear window that I'm shaking my head at - it may just be best to convert it back to crank.

Overall it runs and drives straight, but I have a lot of work to do it on before winter comes.

right now here are my priorities.

1. replace rusty fendor apron - luckily the battery mounts are all solid.
2. have someone cut out the driver side rocker out and install a new one. I can weld, but I dont necessarily want to do this. If anyone knows a good body guy in chicago, let me know.
3. wire wheel and slather por 15 on the bottom of the truck.
4. deal with hacked up wiring
5. figure out what to do with that rear window
6. add in some new gauges like oil pressure and water temp. (already have a new voltmeter in)
7. have a custom exhaust system bent up - the one in the truck is original. Its still hanging but its in bad shape.

Anyways - just wanted to say hi. IMG_1780.jpg

Radiogeek99

Just Another Guy
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Homer Glen, Illinois. I have been restoring a 1009, and am learning a lot. Lucky for me electrically she is in good shape, just a lot of body work to do.

gnick

AWESOME! well if you want to make some extra money and help me put in a rocker one day - let me know.

also - if you've got an extra parts laying around, i may be a buyer for some of those as well.

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Welcome from Cape Cod, MA. Good luck with the repairs before old man winter rears his ugly head. Lived in Pekin, IL for a while. I know all about those Midwest winters---brrrrr!

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard! M1009s are fun to work on/with. Sounds like ya got a some work ahead of ya, at least she's runnin. =) parts are pretty available.....LOTS of wise CUCV guyz on here (I'm not one of them, but I'm learning )

gungearz

Welcome from NWI... my brother in law is near Kimball and Fullerton, he's also got a 1009... a few of us mv enthusiasts in the regional Chicago area hook up once in awhile... PM me if u need anything..

gnick

thanks everyone - looking forward to learning from the site and contributing as much as I can.

glad to hear you think so...i sure do love driving it, but the previous owner has done some stuff that drives me crazy. i know i couldve spent another 4-5 grand and got a really nice one, but then i guess i wouldnt get to turn wrenches as much either.

gnick

Welcome from NWI... my brother in law is near Kimball and Fullerton, he's also got a 1009... a few of us mv enthusiasts in the regional Chicago area hook up once in awhile... PM me if u need anything..
thats great. I'm at western and divison, so only 10-15 min from your brother in law.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks