• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from Michigan

hornwiser

Hello to everyone. Just recently my son and I bought a Deuce and a half from a farmer who had it behind his barn for years. The truck was modified to pull logs out of the woods for a logging company. We don't know much about the truck except that it is suppost to be a 1972 M-135 series ( probably a 211 because it has duels ), has a General Motors gas engine, and a military pto driven winch in the back with 5/8" cable, not sure about winch size. The truck has had the bed removed to mount the winch. Because the engine appears to be seized up, he included a new rebuilt motor he had in a army engine container. This rebuilt engine is not a direct swap because the intake and exhaust are on the opposite side of the one in the truck. Over all I think we got a good deal. We intend to either rebuild the orginal engine or sell or swap the rebuilt engine for one that will work. Our first task is to locate some manuals and educate ourselvs about our new undertaking. Any suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated.

citizensoldier

Post some pictures if you can.. You have we wondering about the engine.. Does the one in the truck appear to belong there? If it has a drag winch on the back it probably has a PTO off the T case.. I would like to see the old gal. What side is the intake and exhaust on the NOS crate motor? Is it a GMC motor? It might be a REO or Continental motor? Need pictures.. :-D

hornwiser

Thanks for the reply. I'll take some pics and get them posted as soon as possable. The creat motor is an REO and was manufactured in Lansing , Michigan according to the tag on the block. The engine in the truck has a rebuild tag on the block dated 9-1972. The motor in the truck has the exhaust and intake on the drivers side were as the creat motor has them on the opposite side. Your right, the winch is powered from the t case, it does have a tag with US Army on it but any information pertaining to size is long gone. It must be quite large because of the size of the cable, 5/8".

TedG

Welcome to the SS forum! It is good to have another Michigander on board! Can't wait to see the pictures and have fun getting it moving. Is the gasser engine bad/broken or just locked up from sitting?

ida34

You probably have a M135 or M211 like you said. The engine is probably an engine from a M35 gasser. They are Reo gas engines. Like you stated, the M135 used a GMC engine. The date of manufacture would not be 72 They only made the M135 series in the 50's.

Welcome to the forum.

citizensoldier

It sounds like the engine in the crate is for the early M35 type trucks made by Reo, Curtis Wright and others. I might be interested in that if you decide to sell it. Depending on the shape of the truck engine you might be able to save it. Pull the plugs and start soaking it with some Kroil oil or transmission fluid. She might just free up for you and start.. I have seen it before.. Put a bar on the crank and walke by once a day and smack it.. :-D Oh and welcome to the site..

citizensoldier

The manuals for the GMC's are for sale at Portrayal Press, Ebay, and probably some of the guys on here.. I have some engines for them up here in many phazes of life.. lol.. You can get NOS parts for them at real good prices too.. When GMC made stuff they were not slacking on the MASS production part of things..

hornwiser

According to some web sites, my truck may even be a m221, and it probably was made in the 50's. At first the farmer told me it was a 1952 then it was a 1972, but my hunch is a 1952. The truck sat outdoors for a number of years and being exposed to the elements did'nt do it any good. I'll try that trick with the Kroil oil. The farmer told me he drove it "out back" and parked it. Thanks for the tips, I'll keep playing with it. Also I'ts an automatic. Pics are comming soon.

citizensoldier

Yep.. The M211, M215, M221, M135 are all automatics.. M221's are kind of rare and it just might be one. If so its a shorter wheelbase truck than the M211, or M135's..

Some pictures of different versions and different trucks for your viewing pleasure..:-D

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks