• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from MiddleEarth with questions about my M1009

Kiwi1009

Hello from New Zealand with questions about my M1009

First of all, hello from NZ, Middle of Middle Earth, Upside down land other wise known as New Zealand. I have a new M1009, maybe the only one in NZ, although I have seen at least one M1008 around my ways.

Enjoying the site and have been preening through it for the last few months. Many, including my wife cant get figure why I would want such a unique truck, well that's easy

I am ex military, I always had a thing for 4x4's, I like to hunt/shoot, I like to camp, I like to offroad, always wanted a V8 Diesel, loud trucks are better trucks. full sized US square bodied truck rock.

Basically it's fairly standard with no rust, except the 6.5 turbo, 6 inch rough country lift and 36 inch Super Swampers.

I'm planning on keeping the original flavour and maybe touching up the camo paint, fitting a set of draws in the back, roof rack and maybe a tyre carrier/ Jerry can holder on the rear

I do have a couple of questions if that is ok? Not sure how to resize the image??

On the drivers side brush gard there is a box welded on that I have not seen on any other M1009. I thought maybe it a aerial/antenna holder however it has "Caution High Voltage" written on it so I'm thinking it's some sort of inverter bracket. It does have a 110v (we are 240V in NZ) civilian plug in the grill, which kind of makes sense I guess. Anyway any assistance would be great.

Mr Plow.jpg

Last edited:

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Welcome Kiwi from Cape Cod, MA USA. Always thought New Zealand would be a great place to visit. Nice truck. I think the box is an antennae mount as some transmit at some pretty high voltage. I sure others here will know and chime in.

snowtrac nome

that is an hf antenna mount yes they do transmit some pretty high voltage but worse is the radiation emitting from it when in use at full power they can burn you quick especially at the tip of the antenna. that is by the way the reason for the corona ball at the end of the antenna

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Maryland, USA. Beautiful truck. I'd love to see some pictures of the 6.5 turbo set up.

richingalveston

check to see if the axles are upgraded. if not, just know you are pushing them to their limits with that tire size.

something to think about when off road if they are 10 bolt stock axles.

nice truck.
Rich

Kiwi1009

check to see if the axles are upgraded. if not, just know you are pushing them to their limits with that tire size.

something to think about when off road if they are 10 bolt stock axles.

nice truck.
Rich
Hate to sound like the FNG, but I'm new to these trucks. I assume the "10" refers to the number of bolts on the diff??? Also, remembering I live in country where Landover S1&2's were the most common off roader, later replaced by FJ40's and Nissan Safari on 35's are considered to be oversized. Landover diff's are made of cotton and chewing gum and snap at the mention of a gradient.

richingalveston

post some pics of your axles if you can with them clean. and we can tell you what you have. just cant tell much due to the snow covering.

I thought land rovers were indestructible.

rich

Kiwi1009

post some pics of your axles if you can with them clean. and we can tell you what you have. just cant tell much due to the snow covering.

I thought land rovers were indestructible.

rich

Will get that photo do, after I get some mud off it, and the rain stops....

90% of all Landover's are still on the road, the other 10% made it home. Although, my Disco2 was very fuel efficient, many because it was towed everywhere!!

Landrovers are a right of passage, everyone in NZ has a story about one, all of them good, as well as fair few bad, they are part of the culture of our country. The older the Landy, the better they were. Since the 80's NZ has been Toyota country, FJ40's started it off, followed by the hilux (Google Barry Crump TV ad"s). The down side is the price for a 4x4 Toyota is frigging ridiculous now

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Wyoming and to the M1009 fraternity. You are in luck! You have a front driveshaft, it appears your fuel filter has been replaced (with the 6.5 install) and your antenna mounts are still intact.
I need to get more photos one of these days but until then:IMG_0607.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks