• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from new MO member

V8Astro

Hello! I acquired my first M1008 from a friend of mine. He fixes things until they're broken so I got it on a trade so to speak :mrgreen:

I'm a "Chevy Boy" as my brother says. So the truck has been a great replacement for the 1989 Suburban I had. That poor truck returned to its base elements (RUST!). I took the good bits and scrapped the rest. I know...sad. But the tailgate fell off...it FELL THE F OFF! Hahaha

The truck has the usual quirks. Most have been fixed thanks to this forum. The vacuum pump didn't work at all. A shifting situation that doesn't feel good for anything. The glow plugs were a hodge-podge of not working. The u-bolts were loose all around. The front actually sheared the centering bolt off the the DS leaf pack. AND I'm working on the death wobble. Bad RF tie rod and king pin bushings/springs.

After a few weeks of driving the CUCV I soon developed a love for all its traits. Flat paint, noisy diesel, TH400, 4.56 gears, 20 MPG (!!!!!!!) and the cow-catcher on front. What's there not to like??!?!

Hats off to you all for supporting a knowledgeable yet FRIENDLY forum. A trait that is in short supply.

Couple pics. One of the truck. And the other of my "fun car". Mostly a resume...

Attachments

Grega

Be carefull as you may become addicted to other flat painted stuff. I bought my first M1009 2 years ago. Spent lots of $$$ on it getting back in shape. Since then, ive aquired 3 m101 trailers and 3 generators. A Mep 003 and 2 mep 016's. My wife is not particually happy with my new hobby, but a least she knows where im at, in the shop tinkering with this stuff, and not at the bar.

Flyingvan911

Do research so you will know the right way to fix your CUCV. They are complicated and a lot of people say it can get to be a mess if you don't have the right info.

Welcome from Kansas City.

unaffiliated

Welcome to the addiction. How do you manage to get 20 MPG I wonder? Mine only gets 14 MPG at best. I try to drive it as if there was a raw egg under the accell pedal, and never faster than 55 MPH. I have heard of others that get 20 MPG.

wayne pick

Welcome from New York

Your truck looks pretty strait, Keep that positive attitude! If it gets frustrating, grab a coffee and walk away from it for a few. Do the doghead starter relay mod asap. It's added peace of mind and a wallet friendly easy upgrade. Lots of great info and people here. Have fun.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the addiction. How do you manage to get 20 MPG I wonder? Mine only gets 14 MPG at best. I try to drive it as if there was a raw egg under the accell pedal, and never faster than 55 MPH. I have heard of others that get 20 MPG.
i think the second picture might have the answer:beer:

V8Astro

I assume mine runs lean for whatever reason. I've worked on some diesels in my career and I can say that the oil in mine is still somewhat translucent after 1000 miles. All the 4BT's and 444E's I've encountered would turn oil BLACK in 10 miles. Maybe it's a matter of maintenance?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks