• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from newbie here, would appreciate some help

Carla

Hello, M37 folk,

I'm a newbie to this site (tried to register some time ago, but didn't do it correctly....think I got it right this time)

I'm Carla, have a M37, and need some help. (I think thats supposed to be one's self-introduction for a 12-step programme, could be mistaken, tho)

The story is this. In the summer of 1989, my late partner Patricia Elaine (variously 'Trish'. 'Tricia', or 'Elaine') and I bought our M37, a 'common or garden variety', with winch, and, over a few years, built it into a comms vehicle, with the S-144 shelter from a MLQ-24 set, and steel arctic top. (the 'milky24' was a radar surveillance package) We removed the original gear, and fitted comms equipment, using the original antenna towers with commercial antenna rotators. I kept the M37 'as original' with the exception of fitting a slightly newer '265' Dodge commercial 'long-block' engine, copying Canadian M37's with the 251. The comms package, shelter and equipment, was right at the max road weight, so pulling any grade was 'not easy' with the original 230.

(that, and the 230 self-destructed, which was found to be a depot rebuild error, with the assembler substituting star washers for the original captive lock washers on one of the rods. The star pattern lock-washer was soft, and 'extruded' over time, allowing the rod nuts to loosen, scarring the crank, which was already .020 down.)

If you might be interested, have a look at our old web-site www.tactical-link.com, 'Tricia's pages', and http://www.tactical-link.com/wa6ube.htm for photos of the unit when we got it done up in the mid 1990's.

Patricia was a comms engineer, and was in charge of public-safety comms for our City here, and the comms vehicle was our volunteer emergency comms responder project. We rolled this unit from 1989 until 2007 for a variety of comms training exercises and display/publicity events, such as the Pacificon ham radio conventions, and the unit was listed as a comms reserve facility with Homeland Security through the Army MARS system. (Tricia was Army MARS AAR9JA.....I have basic radio license myself, but am not a comms engineer, and filed for her old ham call WA6UBE, which I now have)

We last rolled the unit for ham radio field day in 2007, after which it went dormant, as Tricia had some serious health problems, and had to have a heart pacemaker. She passed away in March of 2010 when the pacemaker malfunctioned.

The M37 has been dormant in storage since, altho I'd started it a few times and ran it just enough to keep the engine free.

Now, I've been asked to roll the unit for ham radio field day with our local R.A.C.E.S. group, but found, when we (a couple of old friends and I) tried to get it back on line, its fuel tank had rusted internally, and had developed a multiplicity of small leaks. The local firm which does radiator and fuel tank repair said that it is not salvageable, too far gone in too many areas.

Can anyone help me with finding a serviceable fuel tank for the M37?

From what I've been able to read on the internet, M37 fuel tanks were prone to rust, and serviceable units are 'not easy' to find these days.

Is anyone making good quality replacement tanks, or is there any readily available replacement tank which can be modified to suit the M37?

I'm actually a bit time-stressed, having promised to do my best to be able to roll the comms unit for ham radio field day, which will be the last week-end in June, so I've only a month's time, if I'm to get the unit on line for this year's event.

cheers

de Carla WA6UBE

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome and it looks like you got registered in 2012. :)

Also, sorry for your loss.

combat32

Actually the S-10 blazer(not pickup) is almost a direct swap, make sure you get the lower tank straps from the Blazer. Tons of Blazers in your local junkyard, 88-early 90's works best if I recall, now original m37 tanks are out there but expect to pay 200 and up if you find one and it will probably still need some work. You could also ask over on the G741 site. Post some pics on here we would love to see it.

I paid 40 for a Blazer tank, if you were closer I would give it to you as I don't need it now. But if you just have to have a M37 tank, send me a PM I know a guy in Florida that has some for sale and can give you his e-mail address

Last edited:

bdean666

i too am on the hunt for a gas tank. i have heard of the s-10 tanks but was hoping to find one with some more volume...(the m37 is no hybrid) i was looking at fuel cells from jazz, RCI, ect. but have yet to find any with a filler spout on the side (so i can utilize the original filled on the truck. any advise on that. good timing carla i was going to ask the same questions. i will continue my search and report back with any findings.

combat32

S-10 Blazer will hook up to original filler on the M37, with a little tweakin. Again it is the Blazer not the pickup tank, totally different varmits.

bdean666

ok ive got a little bit to report here. from my research (which could have been more extensive ill admit), it appears that the most cost effective and readily available replacement tank is a 20 gallon tank out of a 85-94 s-10 blazer/jimmy, $99.95 part # 29-3008 from LMC Truck. and i had to call to learn that the sending unit DOES NOT come with the tank. it is an extra $79.95.

i also bought the strap kit ( on back-order but will be back in stock next week) that went with it. $49.95 part # 29-3442. as my straps were not worth the modification/repair. i did read that the original tank straps will work (if you've got em) with longer bolts.

heres the link to LMC Truck where the parts were found: http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cst/full.aspx?Page=127

i opted out of buying the filler neck as it was insanely expensive...to the tune of $600. there isn't much of a description but i can only assume (hope) it is everything from the tank to the cap and all the mounting stuff in between.

if anyone can point me toward a filler neck at a good price i would be excited about it. i think ill try my local parts houses first as ide bet its pretty common.

this seems pretty straight forward. hook up the lines to the sending unit to fuel pump, pump to carb and presto! right? im pretty new to working on trucks and cars