• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from Oregon

Firsttime6x6er

Hi I'm new to the game of military vehicles and am looking into getting one for hauling. I'm looking into getting either an m927 or an M923 A2 5 ton. First can anyone through a tape measure on the back of their 5 ton and see what the height is to the top of the frame? My question is would it be possible for me to first remove the bed from one of these and build a lighter custom flatbed put a 2000lbs car on it and tow either a) a 5th wheel or be a hitch mount camper. Here's a picture of what's got me interested in this idea. I've been looking at trucks for the last month and can't find a decent rig for under 20grand. I know these wont get the mileage or be the most practical tow or haul vehicle but it'd definitely be a head turner...Also I'm a fabricator and welder so any modifications or welding I need to do isn't going to be a pain. Know I wrote a book for my first post but any imput would be greatly appreciated....

Attachments

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 939 series trucks are basicly all the same except tire sizes will change the height . The TM's will have drawing for each varient. Also using the google search box in the upper righthand corner of every page searches within the steelsoliders site.

Oh and welcome to SS.

goodguyzy

Decision would be if getting a 5 ton tractor, removing 5th wheel and building a flatbed or using a cargo and convert the bed to a flat bed....... Or keep the bed and put the car in the back.......then making a ramp system to load/unload. What is your end game?

Firsttime6x6er

Pretty much but I've been looking at the 923 chassis I no my picture has a 939 series tractor but I'm looking at a cargo truck. Basically I'm looking for a way to transport my car and trailer to anywhere in the country through any conditions for work. I know this isn't the most practical idea but I've never been the most practical person.

Another Ahab

No detail to offer (don't know the M923), but welcome to you from the other coast here in Virginia.

Nice looking rig in your photos (fifth wheel tractor with the club cab). Where did you run across it?

Firsttime6x6er

Decision would be if getting a 5 ton tractor, removing 5th wheel and building a flatbed or using a cargo and convert the bed to a flat bed....... Or keep the bed and put the car in the back.......then making a ramp system to load/unload. What is your end game?
Sorry goodguy I misread this at first I'm planning at this point on getting a cargo and converting it to a flatbed as I've found many of them relatively close. If a tractor came up close by however if pick it up for ease of conversion for the 5th wheel.

Another Ahab

Hey Firsttime, no intention of a hijack of your post here, but clearly lots of ideas for you to pull from in your progress. I hope you'll keep us all posted.

Another Ahab

I will. I'm still in the process of finding a good starting point with a truck.
And you also have a strong regional network to pull from (like goodguy): search "PNW Info Thread" if you haven't run across that one yet.

A post there just might get you some additional local prospects to consider.

Last edited: