• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from Oregon

Just like to say hello, new member from Oregon and thanks for letting me be part of a great forum. I've been doing alot of reading and researching here for a while now. I am not currently an owner of any military equipment yet. But have been looking, learning and planning to join the community of people who appreciate, enjoy and own these awesome vehicles. If plans stay the course, I will be purchasing an m939 series 5 ton truck, an older military era jeep and lately have become very interested in a military mechanical mule. I am planning to get a 5 ton in January, hopefully as well as the jeep. The mule seems to be a little more elusive to locate in my neck of the country.

Wolfen

Just like to say hello, new member from Oregon and thanks for letting me be part of a great forum. I've been doing alot of reading and researching here for a while now. I am not currently an owner of any military equipment yet. But have been looking, learning and planning to join the community of people who appreciate, enjoy and own these awesome vehicles. If plans stay the course, I will be purchasing an m939 series 5 ton truck, an older military era jeep and lately have become very interested in a military mechanical mule. I am planning to get a 5 ton in January, hopefully as well as the jeep. The mule seems to be a little more elusive to locate in my neck of the country.
I'm Noth of you in Woodburn.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome from North Carolina! Don't hesitate to post pictures for opinions when you go look at your new (to you) 5 Ton. We have a lot of guys here with a good eye for detail and that are willing to share info and opinions. You are going to enjoy this hobby even more when you have your very own!

I would definitely get something big first so you have something to haul all the other toys you have in the plan :cool:

Tim Mullaney

fasttruck

Do yourself a favor and read the reading. Don't make a move without the pubs: operators manual, organizational maintenance manual, parts book and lubrication order. All of these are available on this site for the vehicles you are interested in. Grease is cheap. Parts cost money. Be guided accordingly. Do you know how a military light switch works ? Where the drains for the air tanks are ( 5 ton) ? And so on.

Do yourself a favor and read the reading. Don't make a move without the pubs: operators manual, organizational maintenance manual, parts book and lubrication order. All of these are available on this site for the vehicles you are interested in. Grease is cheap. Parts cost money. Be guided accordingly. Do you know how a military light switch works ? Where the drains for the air tanks are ( 5 ton) ? And so on.
I cant say that I know where the air tank drains are for the 5 tons, or even how to turn on the lights. Being completely honest, I have actually been giving those kinds of things quite a bit of thought. It's both making me nervous and anxious with anticipation. All good feelings for sure, as I know I am about to embark on a brave new journey. I know with the help of my new friends and family here on the forum I am in good hands.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I cant say that I know where the air tank drains are for the 5 tons, or even how to turn on the lights. Being completely honest, I have actually been giving those kinds of things quite a bit of thought. It's both making me nervous and anxious with anticipation. All good feelings for sure, as I know I am about to embark on a brave new journey. I know with the help of my new friends and family here on the forum I am in good hands.
There are definitely people here willing help. The "dash ten" book for your truck is the equivalent of the operators guide. It explains that the air system needs to be drained daily, that you need a minimum of 90 pounds of air to drive and it may even mention at 60 pounds the spring brake chambers overcome the air and brakes are applied. It reminds you to wear a seatbelt, Tells you to check the oil and how to do a pre-trip walk around the truck (visual inspection).

I am here to tell you: It is DRY reading. Still, it is worth thumbing through it. Read the stuff that looks odd compared to a normal vehicle. The big thing - even if you don't read the entire book from cover to cover --- looking through the pages and looking at the pictures will help you a LOT when you first climb up in the truck.

And definitely, if you have a nearby MV enthusiast neighbor, don't hesitate to spend a day at his place or you at his. That will definitely get you off to a running start along with the "-10" book.

There are definitely people here willing help. The "dash ten" book for your truck is the equivalent of the operators guide. It explains that the air system needs to be drained daily, that you need a minimum of 90 pounds of air to drive and it may even mention at 60 pounds the spring brake chambers overcome the air and brakes are applied. It reminds you to wear a seatbelt, Tells you to check the oil and how to do a pre-trip walk around the truck (visual inspection).

I am here to tell you: It is DRY reading. Still, it is worth thumbing through it. Read the stuff that looks odd compared to a normal vehicle. The big thing - even if you don't read the entire book from cover to cover --- looking through the pages and looking at the pictures will help you a LOT when you first climb up in the truck.

And definitely, if you have a nearby MV enthusiast neighbor, don't hesitate to spend a day at his place or you at his. That will definitely get you off to a running start along with the "-10" book.
Thank you for the recommendation for the "10" book. If it doesn't come with the vehicle that I ultimately purchase, it will be the first thing I purchase for it. From the videos of them put out by owners on YouTube I did see the 90 pounds of air required to be able to drive. I have also seen that they require a set of very large tools to be able to work on them. We have our own auto shop, not that any of our current tools are probably rated to do any significant maintenance or repairs on them, but we all have the mindset required to do the work. I told my sons that the vehicles we get are automatically going to be permanent fleet to the family for generations.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thank you for the recommendation for the "10" book. If it doesn't come with the vehicle that I ultimately purchase, it will be the first thing I purchase for it. From the videos of them put out by owners on YouTube I did see the 90 pounds of air required to be able to drive. I have also seen that they require a set of very large tools to be able to work on them. We have our own auto shop, not that any of our current tools are probably rated to do any significant maintenance or repairs on them, but we all have the mindset required to do the work. I told my sons that the vehicles we get are automatically going to be permanent fleet to the family for generations.
When you get a truck in your hands, you can get the exact book here most likely. Chances of the manuals coming with the truck is just about zero. Good part is that the manuals here are free.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks