• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello From Reading Pa

Just wanted to say my first official hello,

my name is dan I'm 28 yrs old and live on the outskirts of reading, pa and I'm originally from tioga county pa.

some of my background is I have 13 yrs experience as a medium/ heavy truck and heavy equipment tire technician working for service tire truck center and McCarthy tire. 2 yrs ago I decided to switch my profession since I was tired of running 24/7/365 road service and went bak into the field I went to votech for which is welding a fabrication. I work for one of the leading aluminum trailer manufacturers in the country, Reitnouer Inc. They revolutionized bolt together aluminum trailers instead of welding them. I am a certified welder in GMAW and FCAW processes and a very good aluminum welder at that. I am a supervisor in the welding fabrication department.

i have always wanted a deuce and have been looking for awhile shopping around and lurking on this website. I have done all kinds of hobbies from racing go karts to Harley's, just sold my Buell lighting. I made my own cages on my racing karts which were scaled down sprint cars which I started a local club which they travel all over pa putting on exhibition races. I build my own engines minus machine work.

About 3 years ago I sold my 2008 jeep wrangler which had 6" lift and 37's

when the the economy took a down fall I couldn't afford to feed it's 9 mpg appetite and anymore and traded it in on a jeep patriot to be me family minded.

recently a few buddies started to get back into wheeling so now I am too, except I'm going big..... Go big or go home right? Lol

the reason I am buying a deuce is because they are very simple trucks to wheel and do very well rock crawling and in mud. I figure it's the cheapest way to wheel and have fun and turn a head. I had over $8000 in just mods alone on my jeep plus the $26000 price tag of the jeep.

I'm about to go to out a deposit on a truck this weekend with a m105 trailer. The truck is in really good shape and so is the trailer. I will be picking it up after Christmas.

I plan in bobbing it adding a extended cab so the kids can go with wheeling. Also adding a 12v auxiliary system and possibly doing a aluminum bed like out trailers at work. I'm hoping to get the weight down around 9000lbs maybe a little over but definitely under 9800lbs.

So a big hello from south eastern pa!!!!

shenkmen

Welcome aboard! Not to far from you in Lancaster County. Keep your eye out for the Steel Soldiers Rallies at Rausch creek in the Spring and Fall.

PaFarmer

Welcome. I live just south of Bernville. I bobbed a deuce a few years ago and was just talking today about doing it again. Feel free to contact me if you need any assistance.

I'm sure I will, I used to almost live there in my jeep lol was there every weekend. I'm curious to see how the deuce does. There are a lot of trails I'm afraid the deuce is to big for.

Just green trails? These trucks should be able to handle purple trails easily! I've seen stock rubicons on black trails, was a challenge but we did it.....

maybe be once I make it up I could lead a more extreme group, it's been a few years since I've been to Rausch though need a refresher on trails

PaFarmer

Dan your last two posts address the issue with deuces and 5 tons at RC. There are only so many trails that they fit on. Some folks are driving from out of state and need to drive back home with their family, so we try to keep it under control at the rallies. This year we had a M36 lwb deuce with a shipping container as a camper on the trails all day, many 5 tons, including a wrecker as noted above, cargos and I led in my 5 ton M931A1 tractor. We had twenty some trucks in total. Years past we have run some tighter/rockier trails, but this group would not have fit down many of those trails. We only had to perform one extraction, a JK that came close to rolling into a crop fall. Years past we had numerous recoveries, usually from Lake Christy or the mud pit on the pole line trail. The rallies are a lot of fun.

I have been to the SS rallies at RC since 08 and only a few vehicles have come back on a strap. When we go up with our jeeps and buggies, there is a lot more carnage, but we play rough.

i think you will be happy with a deuce on the trails. They have a lot of traction. They are durable, a little rubbing on trees does not dent them up much. You will get bounced around a lot. Keep your thumbs out of the steering wheel and if you hit a big rock or stump and the steering wheel jerks, let it go or you will slam your elbow into the door.

I'm sure.... It sounds like a blast. My truck will be a daily driver per say, but mostly a hard core off road truck. Once I bob it and do some add ons like power steering and stuff I'm hoping to more extreme stuff off road. That's the whole reason I'm buying the truck, the are monsters and pretty bullet proof. I'll be doin mud bogs and truck pulls with it at kempton too maybe run it out to the buck every once and awhile