• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from South Carolina

wilfreeman

Hi guys. This is my first post even though I've been a member for a while now. I caught then OD bug back in '97 after I got out of the Army. Now I own:

the original '54 M38A1 that I bought back then (almost restored),
M416 I bought in '99,
M100 (just the chassis is left - the body was rusted out) I bought in '99,
'54 M38A1 I bought for parts in '99
'54 M38A1 I bought for parts/reference (for restoring my first 'A1) last year
'90 Kasel M101a2 I won 10/27 from GL

jwaller

welcome. there is a large gathering of Mv's next weekend in charleston at patriots point. Come join us on sat if you wish.

wilfreeman

Thanks for the welcome Guys. Man, I'd love to come to Patriot's Point, but of course I'm almost always working when there's something I want to do! I've been checking out the pics and videos of the GA rally - that looked like it was a blast! Maybe I'll have my M38A1 done by next year's rally and I can come do some camping and muddin'.

Matt

wilfreeman

I did make it to the GAMVPA rally in Kennesaw a few weeks ago though. I picked up a few items and talked to a few fellow HMV owners there. The last time I went to that one was at Helen, GA in 2000.

Thanks DJones

Matt

bigugh20

Welcome Matt! Lots of enthusiast in this area. Look forward to meeting you soon. I know what you mean when you say that your work schedule interferes with events. I took a whole week off to go to the Ga. rally this year and it was well worth it.

wilfreeman

After seeing those pics/videos of the GA rally last week, I might end up taking some time off for next year's event myself.

Hey Joe - you're right, I'm right up the Interstate in Richburg! Cool

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Matt, welcome to active participation on the site. If you look carefully at the GA Rally pics, you will observe that not everyone came in an MV. In fact, if they had, we would have probably had over 100 MV's present. My first GA Rally was in the Corolla, but the last three were in a deuce pulling the MKT.

wilfreeman

I'll have to remember that - I think I'll definately come next year, even if I have to take some time off. I can always roll up in the RV for the camping and socializing part if the 'A1 isn't ready. Maybe the wife and I can bum a ride in the back of a duece or something - planning on having the jeep done though. All I have left is getting it running, blast the hood and wheels and paint them, and the markings + seats. We'll see.

Matt

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Matt,
Welcome to the site!

Next year, you are welcome to convoy down with Craig and I to the rally, (hopefully have Neil Hendrix as well) or if you leave on Wed, you can give Mike some company for his ride down. I let Craig drive my 'XM818 of Death' to the rally this year. Next year I'll have more trucks so if your jeep isn't ready, or even if it is, I might enlist you to drive one of mine and we will put the jeep on my trailer!

If you have any questions or want to come look at some of the bigger stuff, there are plenty of guys here in SC willing to lend a hand.

I've been working to try and start some type of 'gathering' for us SC guys. Probably just be a weekend. Trying to plan when and were is the stickler.

Adam

wilfreeman

Thanks Adam! That sounds like a plan. Just so you know, I've still got my military driver's license for everything from M151 - M818 + Bradley, so I'm qualified to drive 'em! Yeah, a SC gathering and trail ride would be great. Surely somebody has some land or knows someone that does for a weekend gathering. I was checking out your signature - where does somebody keep a train and cars + big trucks?

SCcowgirl80

Hey there. I'm about 5 miles away from you in the "big" town of Catawba right off of Hwy 21. Just thought I'd drop you a line and say hi to a fellow South Carolinian.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks