• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello, New guy with a M1009 project truck

lytemup454

I just wanted to introduce my self. My name is ian and I just bought a M1009 project.
.IMG_0554.jpg
It has no motor or transmission but did come with the 208 transfercase that I will run for a while. All of the resistors, relays and wiring accociated with the morot is gone as well.
IMG_0560.jpgIMG_0553.jpg
It does have a D60 front and a 14FF with detroit locker in the rear. It has the 52" spring swap on the front with some home made shackels and 56" springs in the rear with 37" military tires on it now.It has a other than stock bumper that I was hoping someone could help me identify.With the slotted holes it doesnt look like a home made bumper. I want to go back to a stock bumper and grill guard. I could probably salvage this grill guard if i had too but it would be nice to find one.
IMG_0558.jpgIMG_0571.jpg
The PO also thought he was a welder and welded a support brace for the steering box. This will obviously need to be addressed, As a former Navy welder these welds are un acceptable.
IMG_0574.jpg
The current plan is to put an 8.1 big block in it (since most of the diesel stuff is gone) and switch it over to manual. I have an SM465 in the garage and the 208 will go behind that. The rear and front ends will both be rebuilt with new bearings and seals and i'll probably go to a smaller 35" tire.
IMG_0551.jpgIMG_0552.jpgIMG_0556.jpg
There is a little bit of rust on the body but nothing major so that will get addressed as well.
I was wondering if someone could tell me what these plugs are too? I imagine they are to support the original motor
IMG_0566.jpgIMG_0564.jpg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site.

Looks like you're gonna be here a while(lots of work to do).

I edited your thread title to be a bit more descriptive.

cucvrus

The 2 plugs that you have in the picture go to the interior under dash diagnostic connection. They are not needed. That is a military only connection. An old time scanning tool was hooked up to that connection to scan the entire vehicle system. I mean old time. You see the scan tools they have these days? That machine was huge and heavy not like the pocket scanners we have today. Good luck with that project. You will have your hands full for a while.

cucvrus

The 1st plug that you have in the picture goes to the interior under dash diagnostic connection. That is not needed. That is a military only connection. An old time scanning tool was hooked up to that connection to scan the entire vehicle system. I mean old time. You see the scan tools they have these days? That machine was huge and heavy not like the pocket scanners we have today. The second plug/grommet harness you have pictured is the glow plug circuit harness. Good luck with that project. You will have your hands full for a while.

evldoer

Initially I was just going to say that isn't worth getting back on the road- then I saw it has the upgraded axles.
Now I'm jealous! That will be a great project and one tough blazer when finished.
If you are not familiar with the 8.1 engine do some reading before you spend any money. They Dont have much in common with the old mark 4 big blocks. Maybe a 6.0 LS engine would be better? Just a thought. They are lighter, smaller, have more power potential, cheaper, and just a rock solid engine.
Either road you decide on good luck and welcome to the site. Keep us updated on your progress!

lytemup454

Ya i'm pretty stoked about it. My last project is a 1986 k10 that I put a 6.0 LS motor with an NV4500/205 combo behind it. It does great but I wanted something that the whole family can ride in, the M1009 fit the bill.
IMG_0582.jpgThe LS does fine but but I want to add a cam to it to get my power ban down low where I need it, the truck is like a brick rolling down the road. I have to work the motor pretty hard to get it up sopme of the mountain passes and long grades here in Colorado. It would do just fine if I wanted to go 50-60 but I dont, I like to drive at a constant comfortable speed no mattewr what the terrain is. The NV4500/205 will eventually find there way in to the M1009 down the road amd I'll put an automatic back in the 86 so the wife can drive it.
IMG_0576.jpgThe motor showed up today. It has 76k miles on it which is much less than my 6L and has the power down low. My good friend Larry who put this thread together has lots of experience with an 8.1 and it performs flawlessly out on the road or wheeling. 450HP/500+lbs with a tune is much better than an old school big block plus the manners of fuel injection is a no brainer.

evldoer

I'm glad to hear you are familiar with both engines and that you have some support for that 8.1. A good tune will wake that beast right up!

MilChevyguy

Lytemup454.....if you do this build, please start a thread and post pics....I too love the 8.1L....cheap to fix (not diesel) and a pretty good stock powerhouse....we have one in our chevy 3500 cube and a GMC 7500 stake truck, makes our 6.0L cube see tailights all day long.

lytemup454

No Idea on the history, from the looks of it it has been stripped a little more with each new owner. I have found some tan paint under the camo, but i think I want to paint it a solid green with black steel wheels. I really like the classic "original" look but with the updated power plant. Does anyone have any ideas about the plugs in the engine bay or what that bumper is off of?