• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello-New Member here. 1952 M38 from California Central Coast

kentbrown

Hello all,

I'm on my third Military Jeep. I learned to drive a 1945 MB on the family ranch at the age of 10. Once I was old enough to play with my Tonka toy Jeep and had my own army of plastic army men, I began pestering my dad to let me drive the MB. After teaching me how to drive, Dad finally said get in that jeep and leave me alone! I have been bite by the Military Bug as long as I can remember.

When I passed the driving test at age 16, I had been saving up for my first Jeep. After some searching in the L.A. area (Hollywood) I found Surplus City out in the Palmdale/Lancaster area. Long story short this surplus dealer had been providing MV's to Hollywood movie producers for many years. I finally left the yard with a really decent 1955 Kaiser/Willys M38a1. 1975 price $2500.00. I drove this jeep up and down the Hollywood Hills, out in the rolling hills of Valencia CA, and even in the snow up in the mountains by the famed Grapevine on Hwy 5 (Gorman CA). If I could only have kept that M38a1 I surely would have. Off to college in 1978 350 miles from home ushered in a new off road experience in a 1980's Chevy Luv truck, four wheel drive with independent front suspension....not too bad.

Time goes by, met the love of my life in college, raised two great kids, and worked in my field of environmental science for some 35 years. That love of Military Vehicles never died, it just got tucked away until the time was right. 2013, I was able to find a decent M38 and bought it. The previous owner had done a considerable amount of work on it, so I now have numerous ongoing projects and the hunt for original parts is never ending. I ran the M38 in this years Fourth of July parade with the grandkids on board. It took a long time to achieve that, I really like this M38. I look forward to being a member of Steel Soldiers. Best to all, Kent E. Brown

3dAngus

Huh??? Great story like that, and then no pictures. :3dAngus:

I can't honestly say there is any one story behind my buying, but I can say there are several.

We're drooling here. Put up the pics. Welcome aboard the SS train.

OH, and BTW, I vote for college funding over the MV addiction any day. Congrats. Now go buy yourself a matching trailer! :-D

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the site! We'd love to see some pictures of your project.

We're having a get together in October, if you're not busy. It's not too far from you, if you leave now you'll probably just make it in time: http://goo.gl/maps/EblOS

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks