• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Helmetta Fire dept M35a3

HFDm715

Here is our Fire dpt M35a3< we recieved it from New Jersey Forest Fire service/US Forestry, it came from New Hampshire national Guard, but was in Iceland before that, it has a militsry skid 500 gallon tank, 250 gpm pump.

even though everyone is telling us to disconnect the CITS, I would like to diagnose it and repair it.

Duane

Helmetta Fire dept

Attachments

CobraCDR

You don't have to rip out the CTIS if you have problems with it while you're waiting to repair it. Just turn it off and adjust your tire presures manually. Lots of work to pull it all and then try to put it back on later. 2cents

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck, I'm surprised it's not red painted already, I'm sure that might get proposed in the near future.

The CTIS systems are notorious for failing. If you don't want to mess with it, rip the entire system out and just have regular tires, you will have to air up and down as you see fit.

oddshot

Like Helmetta NEW JERSEY???

Home of two of my favorites, Gold River and Silver Creek.

Back in the late 60's I had a summer job helping a crew put up the chain link fence around that plant. I wandered into one of the drying rooms ... and got hooked.

I think they named it "Gold River" because of the color of the streak it wold put down the side of your truck.

I think the A3 would be right handy down in them parts ... but that roll over cage needs a couple of verticals at the joints in the front of the roof of the cab. If your roll that thing the way it is ... its gonna crush at those points.

oddshot

Last edited:

HFDm715

actually, let me reclarify, I wasnt going to rip the CITS system out till i fix it, the propsal was to rip it out instead of fixing it. right now I have no power to the head unit, tried a known good head unit and it didnt work. I need a wiring diagram to start troubleshooting it.

and We decided that the money we would spend trying to paint it red and not make it look bad over the carc paint would be a waste of money, especially for a vehicle that will live most of its like in the woods. So it is staying camo,.

Duane

we just ordered a pair of new Michelin X's for it since we blew the right front tire that had dry cracks in it.

yes, Helmetta NJ, the snuff mill is closed now for 15 years, getting close to turn it into condos and leave the original look on the outside

Last edited:

spicergear

You're brush guard is still a mirror and windshield breaker. You need a down tube from front of cab top to back of horizontal fender tube then another going forward. Then one inbetween them to keep limbs from being pushed then snapping back into the windshield. I have to find a pic of one of the last Long Island Brush Truck Co's trucks. A lost of people throw on brush guards that don't do a lot...

rickf

PEMBERTON NJ??? Its like old home week around here. How's things out in Ongs Hat?

oddshot
Although I don't live far from Ong's hat I seldom go that way. When I need to go out to the circle I go through Country Lakes. I live right on the Fort Dix ranges. I assume you were from this area?

Rick

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's nice to see an MV set up right for firefighting. Just make sure all your guys are well trained on driving that rig.

HFDm715

all of our members who drive brush trucks in the woods have taken the Forest Fire widland engine (brush truck) class, it also teaches winch operations using multiple snatch blocks, indirect pulls, etc, also alot of us on the dept are part timers for New Jersety Forest Fire, and some guys have military experience with the duece, a couple even on the A3.

we may add bars from the fender bars to the limb risers at the top of the cab, but this truck is not our primary truck for running down fires, we have a 85 dodge with a full brush cage for that. pushing trees with a duece to get to a 1/2 acre fire leaves a huge footprint that does not go well with landowners, county park people or the public who owns or uses the land. The days of knocking down every tree to get to a fire is long gone, the collateral damage when that happens puts Forest fire and local fire companies in a bad light.

our truck has taken on another job, flood evacualtions and rescue. you can see the damage the cage took when we blew the tire and glanced off a telephone pole. the cage saved the truck, we already got the parts and fixed everything but the cage. i see alot of these a3 tires with cracks in them. as said before i just spent 1800 dollars getting two brand new tires

Duane

Attachments

Happyland1410

actually, let me reclarify, I wasnt going to rip the CITS system out till i fix it, the propsal was to rip it out instead of fixing it. right now I have no power to the head unit, tried a known good head unit and it didnt work. I need a wiring diagram to start troubleshooting it.

and We decided that the money we would spend trying to paint it red and not make it look bad over the carc paint would be a waste of money, especially for a vehicle that will live most of its like in the woods. So it is staying camo,.

Duane

we just ordered a pair of new Michelin X's for it since we blew the right front tire that had dry cracks in it.

yes, Helmetta NJ, the snuff mill is closed now for 15 years, getting close to turn it into condos and leave the original look on the outside
Nice truck! Our A3 came from Forestry with the CTIS already disconnected. The wiring diagrams and CTIS diagrams are in TM 9-2320-386-24-1-2.

http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-9-2320-386-24-1-2.pdf

We did a inexpensive red paint job on ours and it covered the CARC really well. Here is the thread in case you are interested.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/45281-painted-m35a3-today-pics.html