• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help, 802a cranks but won't start. Possible injector pump / rack issue

Ray70

It sounds like you are possibly starting up on 1 cylinder, then the 2nd one kicks in a few seconds later.
Try loosening the injector line off one of the metering pumps and try starting it.
Then tighten it back up and do the same with the other metering pump.
If it starts with 1 loose but then won't start with the other one loose, the one that is loose when it does start is having some sort of fuel delivery issue at start up. Possibly the metering pump loosing it's prime.

jmenende

Make sure those metering pumps are on correctly and the mechanism springs back w/o getting stuck. Had a rush of adrenaline the other day when I had a runaway and could not get it to shut off even after I put my hand in the inlet pipe. Had to put the other hand over the exhaust manifold to choke it. One of the pumps I had reinstalled got the nipple off the rack. Thats why I always remove the intake hose when dealing with any fuel issue. Its a safety issue.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
You can adjust the stop to be sure it does not pull the fuel rack back to far, no?

Here is what I would do with the sounds of what you're saying with the slight issue of the injection pumps and one having a delay in start. Remove the fuel line that goes from the fuel/water separator. Remove the fuel return line. Get some good ATF. Put both in the quart of ATF. Prime the system with the AFT. Start the generator on the AFT... yes, it will run. Once it starts, shut it down and let it sit overnight. Close the fuel system back up. Prime the system with diesel the next day and run it and then burn out the AFT.

Why? AFT is a good cleaner. If you have any crap in the injection pumps, it will dissolve it and burn it off. As a bonus, it will clean out the injectors a bit as well.

I have done this on a few old diesel engines and it has worked amazing.

Also, for anyone else, these videos may be helpful on the topic for the injection pumps;