• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help: Bad Starter field coil

scoutdoors1000

A while back I had a dead short in my starter. I replaced it with a Chinese hunker junker from ebay. Has been working fine but I do not want to be in that situation again. Plan to rebuild my old starter. The issue is that my wrapping from the field coil have disintegrated and I got a spot where it would arc to the casing and eventually fused. I was thinking of replacing the field coil but cannot find anyone that has part No 1986473 (which is of course the 24v high torque field coil for 27mt stater). Anyone know where I can get one (checked ebay) or has anyone re-wrapped theirs? If you have then what with?

Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone has posted about an outfit in Ohio that did the rebuilds for the military.

I would think a local rebuilder would be your best choice.

Maybe a JD or other tractor company would have them too.

scoutdoors1000

Yeah I checked with a few local places and called the guy that they say "if he can't do it; no one can" and he does not rewrap them and said he cannot get parts for them any more. Searched the web via google and bing and of course the wholesale chinese websites have them but I do not want to order 50 units.

Thanks for the link to ASP wholesale. They have a 12v field coil but not seeing 24. Going to have to call. Called AC delco but got bored of waiting. HA

scoutdoors1000

Local guy said to use "Starter winding tape"
Found a guy rewrapping his starter on a classic motorcycle where they recommended Scotch 27 tape.

After speaking with the AC delco tech support I got a lot of information which may be helpful to some (Summarized below).

The Field coil is 4 coils connected in series which he thinks makes it high torque
The coils themselves are "heavily enameled" which helps with being heavy duty.
The pulse shoe (metal part that fits inside coil helping hold it) is 3.3inches in length and 1.25 inches in width
There are 2 different size coils in the starter, 2 are 5.5 turns and 2 are 4.5 turns.
The original wrapping around the coil is a dacron poly glass fiber based wrap (essentially fiberglass wrap similar to the scotch 27 tape)

He did say that J&N out of ohio does have a lighter duty coil. I wonder if this is the outfit that is probably doing the military rebuilds.

So from what it seems you could spray the coil with Glyptol red varnish or other high temp varnish then rewrap with fiberglass tape and be ready to go.

Will continue to do some searching and see what I come up with. Hopefully this will help anyone who is in the same situation. Heck it seems with this information, one could build one from scratch. Still have calls in to ASP wholesale and J&N

Last edited:

scoutdoors1000

Doghead, Hasdrub, warthog THANKS> All big help. Did not get call back from ohio boys. Going to try them again. Been doing a little more reading. Found this over on vintage mustang forum. Seems I may have been told incorrectly. Seems (at least according to modern starters) that there is a mini high torque and a regular torque starter. At least for mustangs there is. The high torque has a hot wire all the time and the shoes are permanent magnets rather than electric generated ones. Seems it allows full power delivered to starter to be delivered to turning rather than generating a magnet. This might explain why I had problems with putting a 12 volt starter in the truck back years ago.

ORRRRRRRR I checked with a guy selling a 12 v regular torque for high torque starter and he claims that the difference may be 1/2 or 1 coil in the starter....

SOOOOOO I dunno.
(just trying to get all the information I find in one place to help others in the future.)

scoutdoors1000

J&N has it in regular torque and for gear reduction. Their part number is 26112091. That is the 24V field coil for regular torque starter. They also have gear reduction coils if need be. Cost is $48.38. http://www.jnelectric.com/ HOT Diggity dog. 30 day return

Ennis products www.ennisproducts.com Part no 230157 currently on back order so cannot get price.
J&N www.jnelectric.com 26112091 $48.38

Last edited: