• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help Bad Water Leak on My Deuce

jj9620

I've got a M35A2 that I bought at ft reily awhile back I havent started it since I bought it so I put new batteries in today and it fired right up. The problem is that it has avery bad coolent leak just aquick look it looked like coolent was comoing from between the heads HELP any advise what puzzles me is there is no coolent in the oil any suggestions it is a white multi fuel thanks

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If it's coming out from between the heads and there is no coolant in the oil (and vice versa) then it's either a head gasket allowing a little coolant out and it's escaping to the outside without contaminating the oil or more likely a leaking freeze plug.

Read this thread:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/11295-all-freeze-plug.html

jj9620

Thanks i'll read up on you pictures I'm not familier with these engines I guess I should have said it was not just a leak but with engine running it was pouring I guess to replace the freeze plugs i need to take head off dont mean to sound dumb but im no expert on engines

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Mine was pouring when it was running...... pretty steady stream.

Yeah, the heads have to be pulled to replace the freeze plugs. All the sizes and part #'s are in the thread I link'd.

Don't be scared of it. Not too bad a job.

Banshee365

Some say that there are 2 types of deuces. One's that have had the heads off and ones that will have the heads off.

If you are going to pull the heads for any reason definetly replace with the newer gaskets, and have the heads decked so you don't have to do it again soon. All it takes it some young GI to overheat the motor a few times and the heads could warp in a convex fashion. If you're going to have the heads off you can get alot of stuff out of the way at the same time.

-Kelly

broman78

Some say that there are 2 types of deuces. One's that have had the heads off and ones that will have the heads off.

If you are going to pull the heads for any reason definetly replace with the newer gaskets, and have the heads decked so you don't have to do it again soon. All it takes it some young GI to overheat the motor a few times and the heads could warp in a convex fashion. If you're going to have the heads off you can get alot of stuff out of the way at the same time.

-Kelly
I had to look up the definition of getting head decked and came up with two definitions. I would think you are referring to option A because we are talking about a diesel and it already has plenty of compression. Oh would bigger head studs work to keep the head together? something like ARP studs

A) to clean up the surface of the head to give a good gasket seal
B) A deeper cut than done in A, to reduce the size of the combustion chamber and increase compression.

Last edited:

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I had to look up the definition of getting head decked and came up with two definitions. I would think you are referring to option A because we are talking about a diesel and it already has plenty of compression. Oh would bigger head studs work to keep the head together? something like ARP studs

A) to clean up the surface of the head to give a good gasket seal
B) A deeper cut than done in A, to reduce the size of the combustion chamber and increase compression.
He was referring to having the head resurfaced so it is perfectly flat.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/48557-post64.html

I doubt bigger studs would help-the issue isn't fastener failure, it's the inability fo the head gaskets to hold in 22:1 compression.

I agree with Banshee about the "2 Deuces" satement.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
clinto is this freeze plug the one located on the end of the head

Oops, sorry, I didn't see your question.

Did you mean to post a picture with this question?

There are plugs in the top (under the rocker arms) of the head, on the ends and on the manifold side. See my pics in the linked thread for more info. The end plugs leak the most frequently.

dcwilkie

You want to hear something funny? I used to own various British sports cars and never minded working on them. After I got rid of them and had more modern cars, I got to where I couldn't stand to work on the frickin' things. Now that I have the Deuce, I'm back not minding it so much and actually look forward to a job well done! :hammer:
Why? It's all just twistin' nuts and bolts, but I just enjoy this alot more than, say, changing the oil on my 2001 Chrysler Concorde (a car that has been nothing but good to me BTW). :confused:

Have to echo Clinto here- it's not too bad... except the weight of the head! Be careful! I have hernia surgery tomorrow :drool: and it's because I'm a dumesel (Ger.- did I spell that right?) and never ask anyone to help lift the heavy stuff.
How in the aich ee double hockeysticks I'm going to drive an M109 home from Redstone this month is beyond me :doh: