• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help! broke down on side of road, no pwer, rough idle

galeo7171

I need some help. I driving down the highway and all of a sudden, I had loss of power and had to pull over. The m1009 started idling rough and blowing blue smoke out of the exhaust. I let it sit for a minute an started it and it drove fine for another 30 miles, then it did the same thing. Now it idles rough and is still blowing the blue smoke out and has no power. I have no access to the manuals from my phone, any ideas...???

chevyCUCV

Bad fuel, the tank sock inside of the fuel tank is sucking up crap.

When it sits, stuff falls down also and sludge in the bottom of the tank can move and momentarily allow fuel to get by.

Dont know any easy fixes, have to drop and clean the tank

Can try dumping in lots and lots of fuel additive like power service.:confused:

I made it home 40 miles like that, so take your time and just think your tow bill will be smaller the further you make it.

CycleJay

Hello Galeo,

I am not familiar with that problem, or a solution sorry.
But perhaps I can think of something.

Where exactly are you?
And do you have AAA?

Good luck...

CJ

chevyCUCV

Hello Galeo,

I am not familiar with that problem, or a solution sorry.
But perhaps I can think of something.

Where exactly are you?
And do you have AAA?

Good luck...

CJ
Ya if local, call AAA for him, and head to his location asap. If the tow truck driver is friendly he may never ask for your id of info...

Just in case you can be near with valid documents, saying you went for your vehicle to help

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First and foremost,

check fuel level, quality, and cleanliness.
next check filters (in tank sock and fuel filter)
Next check the IP return port. Remove the hose that is looped over and remove that fitting. Check to see if the glass ball check valve is clear. If you find "coffee grinds" it's time for a new IP. Some nurse a few more miles out of them by smashing the ball out of the valve.

galeo7171

Update, I was able to limp it close enough to work and walk the rest of the way. It just won't move any further. It will crank right up and idle fine for about 10 seconds then will start to idle rough and loses all power. I forgot all about having AAA (dad gave it to all of us for a Christmas present last year). I'll have her towed home in the morning and then go from there. Thanks guys for the help and offers

CycleJay

Hello ChevyCUCV,

That is pretty much what I was thinking. As long as I did not use up all my tows, etc..LOL

But he has not replied with his location. Nothing since first post.

My M1009 is running good, so depending on where he is, I could try to go help.

Hope he is safe and getting it worked out...

CycleJay

Galeo,

You are welcome.
The important thing is that you, and your M1009 are safe, and going to get it worked out.

Good luck, and good night..

P.s. Next time you need help, feel free to contact me, I will do what I can.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Update, I was able to limp it close enough to work and walk the rest of the way. It just won't move any further. It will crank right up and idle fine for about 10 seconds then will start to idle rough and loses all power. I forgot all about having AAA (dad gave it to all of us for a Christmas present last year). I'll have her towed home in the morning and then go from there. Thanks guys for the help and offers
Exactly the same thing my M1008 was doing. The pump was dying on me. Plastic ring rots into "coffee grounds" that clog up the return line port. Pressure inside the pump causes the engine to choke out. Let it sit for a few minutes and it will repeat the sequence. Once you get it home pull the return port line and check the valve. Bet you'll find trash from the pump in there.

stationjj

Sorry you broke down. If you don't have AAA? I would consider getting it. Especially with these old CUCVs. You never know when the SHTF.

I got the middle package that includes 4 free tows up to 100 miles. I has already saved me twice.
When I signed upped they gave 3 extra months.

Good Luck,

stationjj

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always post, without reading the whole thread(especially the OP's posts).

Matt1031

Too late now, but for future reference.........
If you ever cut apart a CUCV's stock Stanadyne fuel filter, you'll realize that it doesn't take much to completely clog one up - they have a ridiculously small filter element area and there's no bypass. If you have the stock CUCV fuel filter setup, don't leave home without a spare. A clogged fuel filter it will act as you described and it's very common for the stock filters to go south quickly - especially running dirty fuel or WMO. Odds are decent this was your problem. If the engine acts up like it's having fueling issues and *you need to limp home* there's a temp fix you can try (costs nothing, no tools required): Pull off the fuel filter and blow as hard as you can through the outlet (if you aren't sure which hole that is, it's marked on the filter). If it's a typical neglected filter, usually a bunch of black/brown sludge will come splattering out the inlet hole. Bang filter on grill guard and blow out a couple more times. This process "backwashes"the element enough to get some of the debris out - usually just enough for the filter to flow enough to supply the IP under light load. Reinstall your cruddy but newly "backwashed" filter, Pull pink wire off Injector Pump, open bleed valve on fuel filter housing and crank until you see fuel squirting out bleed port/no air pockets. Close bleed valve, reinstall pink wire on IP, engine will probably now run well enough for you to limp a few more miles down the road or until the filter completely clogs again. Repeat as necessary to get back to base or safe harbor (or until you find an auto parts store within 10 miles that carries those gawdawful Stanadyne box filters so you can buy a fresh replacement). Check fuel tank for sediment/crud, drain, flush lines, clean pickup screen in tank (sock) as necessary when you get to home garage.