• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HELP cucv just quit running

croftonaviation

I need some help my M1009 just quit running. IT cranks over and starts and then dies. I am stuck at work. I am thinking fuel filter (is that the big block looking thing on the firewall behind the # 2 batt?) anyone got a pn so I can go get one.

Thanks Tom

Ken_86gt

It "could" be the fuel filter, but usually you will notice a loss of power before the filter plugs to the extent that the motor won't stay running.

If you change the filter you will have to bleed the system. The instructions are posted all over the place in this forum, please use the search rather than re-post the info.

Your problem could also be related to a leak in the fuel system letting air in- do you have any fuel leaks?

JB

I had (have) the same problem with mine. I have been told that it MAY be the return line coming out of the top of the injector pump getting clogged. I have not had a chance to test/fix that theory yet as my batteries also need replacing. If you look down into the top of the IP there is a single rubber hose that connects to a fitting in the pump. I was told that trash may have stopped a small spring loaded bearing from moving and this could be the issue. Sorry no pics.

Good luck.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just updating this thread for Tom. We spoke on the phone. He replace the fuel filter and it did not help. He's going to check for loose connections between the lift pump and the tank. We also talked about the lift pump, so he will probably try that next. Basically, he could get it to start and run for a few seconds, but it dies shortly. It's as if the fuel supply is being cut off, but he's going to see how it reacts tomorrow in the AM after a good night of sitting.

He'll update the thread tomorrow, as he has no internet in the evenings.

Alucard-HD

It "could" be the fuel filter, but usually you will notice a loss of power before the filter plugs to the extent that the motor won't stay running.

If you change the filter you will have to bleed the system. The instructions are posted all over the place in this forum, please use the search rather than re-post the info.

Your problem could also be related to a leak in the fuel system letting air in- do you have any fuel leaks?

Really? ive seen people take off the old filter, install the new one, take the cap off and crank it untill fuel starts coming out of the top, put the cap back on and crank it again untill it starts. saw it on you tube.

croftonaviation

Well I got to work this morning and it fired right up. I let it run for 10 minutes of so, turned it off and it started up again. It's still dark so I'm waiting to go drive it. This is making me wonder if it is not a collapsing fuel line that perhaps got some rigidness in it due to the cool night (40 F). Any ideas would help. After work I am going to check out the top of the IP pump. For what it is worth last weekend this truck was driven 700 miles from Maryland to South West KY. I have been driving it short distances and have had no problems until yesterday. Thanks for all the help so far and on the bright side I got the fuel filter changed like I was meaning to! More latter.

Tom

edit. just went out to try and drive it and nothing. starts and dies. Their is a small puddle of fuel under the engine so after work hopefully I can find the leak, perhaps it is pulling in air. It is dripping towards the rear of the engine dead center is this any help as to where to go?

Thanks

Last edited:

croftonaviation

Afternoon update. I was planning on taking the fuel return line loose and checking the ball. Is this in the line or in the IP. I am not too familiar and don't want a big screw up. I see a place on the front of the pump where two rubber lines come out. One heads towards the back of the engine and one goes forward and is fairly short. Is it the rear line I need to pull? Thanks Sorry for being such a noob.

Tom

croftonaviation

no it hasn't just checking cheap stuff first. I found a diagram and figured out the return. I have it removed and have a question. Should I be able to see rough clear stuff inside it. I can't blow through it and it appears to have something (engine side) obstructing it. Thanks

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My fuel filter backing plate is leaking air. It causes my M1009 to be hard starting.

I'm waiting for the weather to warm up and then I'll replace it. I HOPE that will resolve most of the problems.

You can literally hear a really low whistle while turning it over. BUT you can only hear it if you are right over the fuel filter block and have someone else turn the truck over.

A NEW (with all the correct sensors) fuel filter and backing plate is like about $65 (ish) shipped.

Just thought I would throw that into the mix.

The hint I got is you are leaking fuel. Is it at the BACK of the engine compartment on the passenger side? That's EXACTLY where mine leaks.

Hope it helps.

Crash_AF

Well, it has a check ball inside it that is to keep the system from bleeding down while it sits. I would say blow some brake/carb cleaner through it from both directions to see if it is moving and if you can blow some junk out of it.

Later,
Joe

lavarok

If your leaking fuel out the valley ( rear of engine ), then your IP seals are toast.
In which case, the return line check valve is most likely clogged.

Take the fitting off and clean it real good. Reinstall, but it may clog again.

You could buy a hose bib fitting to replace the check valve fitting for now, or punch the glass valve out of the valve fitting using a nail. Take it home and plan on replacing the IP once you get her running.

croftonaviation

well I think it's fixed for now, I used the advice and punched the ball out of the return line. It fired right up and idled fine for 10 minutes and it seemed fine. I just got in from driving it around the parking lot and it is doing well and not leaking fuel out of the valley anymore. I am planning on driving it home this weekend and then finding a good used pump to put on it. Thanks for bearing with me and for all the help everyone.

Tom