• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help fast, cummins 250 op temps?

ruckus

Hey guys, we've got a member doing a recovery. Jeff city to Tulsa and he's on the road right now and having engine temp issues. He said he's running consistently 260+ That sounds high to me, can anyone tell me/us what the norm is, or maybe at least Maximum safe temp?

Thanks!

Jason

builderboy

mine never gets above 190 even when its hot out. Have him check and make sure the fan is running all the time. could be a fan clutch. If it's not running shut the engine off and on top of where the fan is attached there should be two bolt heads. take those out and put them in from the front. this will make the fan be solid. ( over ridding the clutch) Does that make any sense at all.

ruckus

Yup, makes perfect sense! Will relay the message and hopefully he can get things figured out before they get worse!

Thanks Builderboy!

Also, can anyone tell me what normal op temps are for the Allison Auto? Local temp is pushing 100°F and he's pulling some rolling hills.

Westech

CPL
I dont think its running 260 or above... that engine would be TOAST by now and not to mention would be ozzing cooling out of the over flow (900) or spraying out the vent line (800) bet its a bad gauge. but stop and look it over.

builderboy

can't really remember the temp for that one .. don't laugh but I think my gauge doesn't even get to the middle ( high noon if you will)

rrrr

On a very hot day my 932 will run 180. About 185 to 190 the fan should kick on. You should be able to hear it when it does. The truck gets much louder.

Lonekazoo

On the way back from the mid-west in 100+ degree weather last month in an m923, I noticed the fan clutch not engaging, but the temp. at highway speed kept below 200 so I carried on. The motor ran a lot cooler than I did.

Last edited:

poorman4x4

daily drive mine in louisiana all the time, mine exceeds 240 but with my laser temp gun says 190, im sure the temp guage isn't always right, but hey somedays it reads correctly

jedawson1

Drive my M923A1 daily, runs 190 and fan clutch comes on when it hits 195 never gets above 195. Clutch comes on frequently on hot days even down the interstate. I don't think he would still be running at 260, probably a bad gauge. Try the fan clutch trick as extra protection but it should be very obvious when that thing kicks on at higher RPM's its pretty loud. Good Luck.

markmontana

lonekazoo>> said:
On the way back from the mid-west in 100+ degree weather last month in an m923, I noticed the fan clutch not engaging, but the temp. at highway speed kept below 200 so I carried on. The motor ran a lot cooler than I did.
The fan doesn't need to run at highway speed when the air is blowing thru that big radiator at 50-55 mph
He forgot to mention that all 3 of the other M939's in the convoy had their fans running and the temp gauges were the same temp as his (an M923A1). The 3 fans were cycling properly.

I suggest he do nothing --- unless a problem arises.

jedawson1

I agree keep trucking, you will feel it if something is wrong, the fan wouldn't be cycling if it were overheated. Kind a makes me wonder if some recent maintenance included the installation of wrong gauges? 3 truck with the same problem.

Danl

Danl M915A1

Yup, makes perfect sense! Will relay the message and hopefully he can get things figured out before they get worse!

Thanks Builderboy!

Also, can anyone tell me what normal op temps are for the Allison Auto? Local temp is pushing 100°F and he's pulling some rolling hills.
the tranny cooler runs with the Rad stick the fan clutch on and the tranny will cool down as well

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A clue to all, if the thing isn't pushing coolant out the overflow, it most likely is not running hot. 220-225 temps will start coolant pissin' out the tube.