• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help for newbie! Releasing brakes on 939 for towing

gvschafer

Hello all,

Long time reader, first time poster and new 925A2 owner via GL. Bought sight unseen, but at good price. Going to pick up truck at Fort Jackson, SC next Monday to bring back to Ohio. Taking semi and drop deck trailer for pickup. My plan if I can not easily get truck running is to push it onto trailer with my Cat 277 compact track loader that I am taking along. Question is, how does one ensure realease of parking brakes on a non-running truck? Do these trucks have a spring brake system like that of a commercial rig in that the system needs air pressure to release brakes? If so will a standard glad hand couple to 925A2 trailer air port in order to air up from my semi? Sorry if this is stupid question, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I think the answer is YES, but not sure , the TMs will tell you, I am sure that since you ALREADY BROUGHT the truck, that you read the TMs while waiting for the EUC, SO I maybe you just missed this Tid-bit of info in the -10

dieselsmokem35a2

I agree with 73m819, TM's will explain how the system works. I just picked up an M923A2 and I believe that the gladhands are the same. As a matter of fact I remember ordering some for my deuce a while back from a class 8 parts dealer so I think they are the same. Word of caution, if you are used to the E-brake being a button on the dash...on the M939's there is such a button but it's the emergency release. The E-brake on these trucks is a pull lever to the right of the drivers seat base. But I think your glad hand idea should work. Worse comes to worse isn't there a rod on the air brake itself that can be loosend to deactivate the brakes? Never tried it myself..heard it's dangerous if you don't know what your doing. Anyway, sorry I couldn't be more help. I am near Akron Ohio if you ever want to get together. Good luck brother! Hope she fires up for ya!

gvschafer

I have looked through the TMs. I believe I can hook up to the front emergency or even trailer emergency glad hand and add air to the truck to release brakes, just wanted to get some imput from others who may have actually done this, to make sure I wasen't missing something and scrambling for answers while trying to load the truck. Thanks for the help!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It is a straight air brake system....if you can't charge the system you will have to cage the brakes to move it.

Cage bolts should be on the side of the brake chamber unless they have been removed.

CAUTION!!!!! Once the brakes are caged you have no brakes.....and an automatic transmission which means you can't use low range and the engine to hold the truck back.

Make sure you have something hooked to the vehicle that can hold it back or stop it.

Make sure you have chocks to pitch in front of a tire to stop/hold it in place once you get it up on the trailer.

Check this out:OPERATION WITH AIR BRAKE FAILURE (CAGING BRAKES)

Mack 121472

you can air it up off your other truck or back the brakes off there is a bolt in the brake chamber it gos in the end an you give it a half turn after it drops in to the slot then tightin the nut on each chamber . note you will have no brakes. if you nead more help text me or call i can help you .here is my cell 575-491-4422 hope this helped.

Stan Leschert

Refer back to Wrecked Man's comments. (sorry wreckerman). What he said is the gospel truth. You can cage brakes, but then you have absolutely no stopping power. Chocks and double winches with a hold back line are required. Other more qualified people will comment, but.... Read the TM's and get your air endorsement. Civvy and Mil trucks are different, but not by too much!