• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HELP. Found A2 VIN But Not A3 VIN

Havasu Sun

In an effort to get my SF-97 I need to determine the VIN # for my A3. I have read the many threads on here on were to find the VIN and have located a VIN on the frame on the drivers side in the front wheel. It took removing the paint as suggested in previous posts so thanks for the advice. The problem is, this is the old A2 VIN not the 5XXXXX number that should be associated with an A3. This truck does not have a data plate in the cab or anywhere else that I can find that has a A3 VIN number on it.

Does anyone have any idea where I can look next or how I can find out the VIN number?

I posted the VIN I found in CARNAC's 2011 VIN info thread and it came back to a 1970 A2. I would like to title it and register it as what it is now a A3 rebuilt in 1993 (I believe).

Any advice on what to do next would be appreciated.

goldneagle

Go with the original VIN number from the frame. I never heard anyone here find a 2nd VIN on the frame. You always go with the original. Especially since there is no DATA plate on the dash. I have done that with every truck I registered.

In your case you should be glad you can tag it as a 1970 since it will qualify as antique. Here in Louisiana ANTIQUE qualifies you for a 1 time permanent tag for $44. If it was 1993 you would need to pay almost that much per year since it is not Antique.

I have 2 friends that have A3's that wish they were A2 rebuilds so they would qualify for perm tags.

Havasu Sun

Go with the original VIN number from the frame. I never heard anyone here find a 2nd VIN on the frame. You always go with the original. Especially since there is no DATA plate on the dash. I have done that with every truck I registered.

In your case you should be glad you can tag it as a 1970 since it will qualify as antique. Here in Louisiana ANTIQUE qualifies you for a 1 time permanent tag for $44. If it was 1993 you would need to pay almost that much per year since it is not Antique.

I have 2 friends that have A3's that wish they were A2 rebuilds so they would qualify for perm tags.
Thanks for the reply. This is actually my father in laws truck. I also have an A3 and I titled it using the 5xxxxx number it was assigned when it was transformed into an A3. He would like to do the same both to be accurate and in case he wants to sell in in the future.

Is the new 5xxxxx number stamped anywhere on the truck other than the plate in the cab? Is there a way to find out the new number based on the old one? If so can I get a new plate with the correct number? I am just looking for solutions......

Thanks

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any one who knows anything about military vehicles will know the truck is an A3. There is not another number in the frame on the truck.

It has always amazed me that the trucks were given a new data plate with a new number. If the military had upgraded the trucks instead of a contactor that never would have happend. To me its like if you rebuild a 67 Camaro with a modern drive train you don't put a new number on it and call it a 2011. its still a 1967

I put the original number on a new data plate on the dash of my truck. Its a lot easier to prove your VIN when its stamped in the frame instead of a data plate held on with phillips head screws.

With military vehicles generally the older the better when it comes to titles, registrations and selling and insurance.

OverSizeHeavyHauler

Anybody know what info goes on what particular blank box on a new data plate?

I bought mine, had a SF97 til I registered it, but when I bought it, it was missing the dash data plate.

I need to know what info goes where, so I can stamp up a blank plate I got from Boyce.

Its a 68 Kaiser but other than that I dont know what to put.....

Any body know?
:jumpin:

goldneagle

Anybody know what info goes on what particular blank box on a new data plate?

I bought mine, had a SF97 til I registered it, but when I bought it, it was missing the dash data plate.

I need to know what info goes where, so I can stamp up a blank plate I got from Boyce.

Its a 68 Kaiser but other than that I dont know what to put.....

Any body know?
:jumpin:
Find the VIN on the frame (driver's side) over the wheel on the frame. Need that to match the VIN on the SF97 and data plate for title.

Chief_919

Look just above the rear spring hanger on the driver side front frame, a bit back from where the A2 vin was. Most A3's have the VIN stamped there.

Is there a registration # anywhere? In most cases it was stenciled inside the cab.

OverSizeHeavyHauler

Yeah, I know bout the SN stamped on the left frame, but Im lookin for the other stuff that goes in the blank boxes, like gvw, manufacturer code and all that lil stuff.

I wanna get a new one with all the info riveted on the dash just in case some Barney Fife wants to pull me over and be all nosey...

Havasu Sun

Look just above the rear spring hanger on the driver side front frame, a bit back from where the A2 vin was. Most A3's have the VIN stamped there.

Is there a registration # anywhere? In most cases it was stenciled inside the cab.
Thanks. I shared this with my father in law. He was going to check it out tonight.

Havasu Sun

Thanks! That is EXACTLY where the A3 VIN was stamped. I will post that VIN on the VIN info thread for additional info. When you and Carnac run those VINs does it also say if and when the truck was rebuilt after 1993? Thanks again!

Big Ron

I too just purchaced a 1980 M35 w/o winch and I am having trouble getting it titled and regestered. It was Gov. Restored? "MMD General Support Repair Program May 95" reads plate on the dash. It also has all the Data Plates on the dash and all numbers a legible, but cannot find anything on the frame. It is All White and is said to come off an Air Base here in FL.

I have been told that it is a M35A1 Cargo, but I "think" but don't know if it is a A2. It has a Continital LDT-465 Multi Fuel in it with less than 1,000 miles on it from what I have been told.

I am new to this Forum, and have been doing some research for the past couple weeks on this buy. This is a great forum and looks to be a great bunch of guys. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Ron

Last edited:

Havasu Sun

Thanks Chief! I was at my father in laws this weekend and sure enough there it was right below the rear spring hanger. :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks