• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HELP! Gawd awful grinding noise/vibration!!

monkeyfist

I have been working on bobbing my M35 for the past few weeks and since most of the fab work is complete I decided to drive it to the families parties for Thanksgiving. After leaving I was going about 40mph and she all of the sudden started making a wicked grinding noise with a bit of vibration. LIke a bad u-joint and metal on metal brakes times 10. Pulled over and inspected the drivetrain and everything looked normal. Took off again and at about 20mph the noise happened again. Pulled into a parking lot and after another inspection and 20+ four letter words later I took off again. No noise. Drove it the rest of the weekend about 150 miles and it never made the noise. Then, low and behold, as I was heading to go hang out with my new lady friend the noise suddenly started again. This time while going about 60mph on the freeway. While slowing down the noise seemes to decrease in frequency. Hi/low and diffrent gears dont affect the noise. Sometimes when in 4 low it will pop into neutral on the transfer case if you let out on the clutch too fast of get in in a bind. Im new to these trucks so any info. on getting this thing diagnosed will be greatly appreciated.:beer:

91W350

Check the intermediate shaft between the two gear boxes. Take two long 3/4 inch wrenches with you and make sure the nuts and bolts are tight. They have this horrible habit....

3dAngus

You don't give a whole lot of clue where it is coming from, but I had a differential that broke a gear off the pinion gear and it would suck it up and grind it like a meat grinder eating metal. If nothing else works out for ya, you might want to open up your differential casing and inspect for metal parts. On another occasion, the pinion gears just needed an alignment, as they were grinding gear on gear. If that happens, you might notice warmer than usual bell housing heating up your 90wt., (or, whatever the gear lube is)

monkeyfist

Check the intermediate shaft between the two gear boxes. Take two long 3/4 inch wrenches with you and make sure the nuts and bolts are tight. They have this horrible habit....

Saw that that happened to someone in another thread. Thats going to be the first thing I check next time I go work on it. Thanks

My buddy said it may be the u-joints on the front axle but I would think if that was it the noise would be constant like when they go out on a drive shaft but idk.

monkeyfist

You don't give a whole lot of clue where it is coming from, but I had a differential that broke a gear off the pinion gear and it would suck it up and grind it like a meat grinder eating metal. If nothing else works out for ya, you might want to open up your differential casing and inspect for metal parts. On another occasion, the pinion gears just needed an alignment, as they were grinding gear on gear. If that happens, you might notice warmer than usual bell housing heating up your 90wt., (or, whatever the gear lube is)
Thats my biggest fear. I hope like **** its nothing in the diff.. I plan on tearing both axles down soon and replacing all the seals and gaskets as well as replacing the junk zipper boots with some that dont leak like a siv. Last thing I want to see is confetti when your draining fluids. Its hard to tell with the noise of the engine and turbo but from what I can tell the sound is coming from the front end, possibly the passenger side. Noticed the other day while we had the truck jacked up the front passenger brake was locked up but I figured it was due to the system not having air pressure. The brakes are working fine other than that.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Thats my biggest fear. I hope like **** its nothing in the diff.. I plan on tearing both axles down soon and replacing all the seals and gaskets as well as replacing the junk zipper boots with some that dont leak like a siv. Last thing I want to see is confetti when your draining fluids. Its hard to tell with the noise of the engine and turbo but from what I can tell the sound is coming from the front end, possibly the passenger side. Noticed the other day while we had the truck jacked up the front passenger brake was locked up but I figured it was due to the system not having air pressure. The brakes are working fine other than that.
NO air pressure will NOT LOCK UP BRAKES

I would NOT run the truck again till the noise is found, pull the RIGHT hub, bet the bearings are about shot, if so you can loose a wheel, and that would not be good at 60

Just a thought, maybe the truck if fighting back because it was hacked up to make a bobber

Also you need to read the -10

Last edited:

monkeyfist

I would NOT run the truck again till the noise is found, pull the RIGHT hub, bet the bearings are about shot, if so you can loose a wheel, and that would not be good at 60

Good point. Ill look into that. Dont see how it would go from makin no noise what so ever to sounding like 2 lame ass mules fcking under the hood in a split second but idk. Surely dont plan on moving the truck till its fixed though.

Just a thought, maybe the truck if fighting back because it was hacked up to make a bobber

HA! You may be right. Surely it has nothing to do with being in operation for over 40 years.
:driver:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
What is the -10?? :oops:
the -10 tm is the operators manual

Originally Posted by 73m819

Good point. Ill look into that. Dont see how it would go from makin no noise what so ever to sounding like 2 lame ass mules fcking under the hood in a split second but idk. Surely dont plan on moving the truck till its fixed though.

HA! You may be right. Surely it has nothing to do with being in operation for over 40 years. not really has more to do with PMS before first operation

Last edited:

monkeyfist

the -10 tm is the operators manual

Originally Posted by 73m819

HA! You may be right. Surely it has nothing to do with being in operation for over 40 years. not really has more to do with PMS before first operation
Ill have to download this -10 you speak of. Surely I can find it on SS?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Oh, like the manual that comes in the glove box when you buy a new car? People actually read those?

some people do, while some people wonder why their power steering doesn't work, wonder what the trapdoor in the floor is for, believe the truck has full air brakes, etc.

might want to check the -20 for your problem:beer:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Oh, like the manual that comes in the glove box when you buy a new car? People actually read those?

Maybe THATS where I will find the true meaning of life. Or at least the meaning of the sweet grinding noise my truck started making.
you are right, reading it could save yours or somebody elses life, if you had read it, you would have known that NO air WILL NOT lock up brakes and the PROPER PMS

monkeyfist

some people do, while some people wonder why their power steering doesn't work, wonder what the trapdoor in the floor is for, believe the truck has full air brakes, etc.

might want to check the -20 for your problem:beer:
discovered the trap door when we had to bleed the air brakes after hacking it up to bob it. im gonna have to refer to the tm to find out why my power steering isnt working. may have air in the system.:mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks