• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help!! gear whine???? see video

landry1

You may have seen previous posts by me about this problem. Mechanics and other people are telling me that since i have such low gears (4:56) that it will make that gear whine at cruising speed (45 mph) They are saying that it is fine and nothing is wrong with it. I disagree, and i think that something is wrong. I think it might be the transfer case or something like that. So i made this video to see if you cucv makes the same sound. If it does or doesnt please let me know!

We were at cruising speed (45 mph) during video.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6evH4CHhRFk[/media]

Westech

CPL
one of my M1009's is making a sound like that also. I am going to swap out the T case and see what happens. That seams to be where my noise is coming from. Your truck should not be making a noise like that. I just think that techs are getting dumber and dumber. I have been ASE for over 15 years and I just see the pool of techs getting worse and worse. It makes me sick when I go in to the GM dealership and need to show the techs what and where.

landry1

no this just happens when driving it. not turning the wheel. i havent tried throwing it into neutral though....

91W350

It is much louder than any of the three that I have owned. It is hard to tell by the video, but is it worse when you lay off the fuel? If so, I agree with the pinion bearing going south. My current M1008 is the quietest of the bunch, much quieter than my M1009. It is not the gears alone, unless they were not shimmed right. If they changed a pinion gear or even a bearing and did not get it set right, they will flat talk to you, even if there is nothing mechanically failing. Grab the rear yoke going into the differential and see if you have any wobble or in and out play. There should be none, you should be able to rotate it a little, but not slide it in and out or in a circle. Glen

ctmustang

That's definately not good. Take it to your local shop and have them raise it up on lift and run it up and use the old screewdriver to your ear trick and find that noise. As for a low gear making that whine-NO- I run 538 gears in most of my dragracing vehicles with no whine. As long as any gear is correctly setup it should make no noise. I have seen tranny pumps in our garage over the years make a whine something like that if not gears or transfer theres another idea.
CT

4bogginchevys

Bad Mechanics...

Sounds something like a bad pinion bearing in the rear end
It is much louder than any of the three that I have owned. It is hard to tell by the video, but is it worse when you lay off the fuel? If so, I agree with the pinion bearing going south. My current M1008 is the quietest of the bunch, much quieter than my M1009. It is not the gears alone, unless they were not shimmed right. If they changed a pinion gear or even a bearing and did not get it set right, they will flat talk to you, even if there is nothing mechanically failing. Grab the rear yoke going into the differential and see if you have any wobble or in and out play. There should be none, you should be able to rotate it a little, but not slide it in and out or in a circle. Glen
That's definately not good. Take it to your local shop and have them raise it up on lift and run it up and use the old screewdriver to your ear trick and find that noise. As for a low gear making that whine-NO- I run 538 gears in most of my dragracing vehicles with no whine. As long as any gear is correctly setup it should make no noise. I have seen tranny pumps in our garage over the years make a whine something like that if not gears or transfer theres another idea.
CT
I also agree the problem is pinion, you'll have to get a new crush collar if your fixing it yourself. Most of the time when they get loose one or more of the shims near the pinion gear itself end up getting chewed up and spit out. Most likely the cause of not being setup right in the first place. The exact preload (difficulty in turning the yoke with no other strain on the bearings/gears) was probably a bit easy/loose. If you pull the diff cover I bet you will find thin metal strips just hanging around.:-D

jsrovers

Sounds to me like the shims in your pinion are not correct. Have you ever done and work to the differentials? Check the fluids in everything too. Tranny, t case and diffys. Could be an output bearing blah blah blah. Kinda hard to diagnose something without being there.

Croatan_Kid

Sounds like a good time to upgrade to some 3/4 or 1-ton axles!

Generally, if a gear set wears funny (IE: not setup correctly to start with) they'll whine. Also, if they wear funny and then you set them up correctly, they'll still whine since they wore funny to start with.

If it's not from an incorrect setup, it's probably from lack of lubrication and most likely at the outer pinion bearing. It might even be from bad seals letting foreign fluids get in there and wreak havoc! :evil:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks