• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help ! Getting 24 volts in my 12 volt system !

Starlight

Hey guys, Any idea why I"m getting 24 volts in my 12 volt system . M1009. Now I know why the headlights were not working. they were blown ! Other lights WAY bright so put a meeter to them and WOW ! Thanks forany advise,T

85-m1028

you should have a single wire comming from + side of the front batt to the smaller diamond shaped power block on the firewall.

sounds like you got the wiring mixed up? take a volt meter and read + terminal at the front battery it should be 12v and the + terminal at the rear battery should be 24v.

if you could post a few pics of the batteries and wiring it might help.

m4A1

The junction boxes on the passenger side firewall and next to the rear seat are 24v. There are also a 24v source at the fuse box and for the starter relay. Check and make sure all are isolated from the 12v system.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: rear battery

Wait for an expert but I think your synopsis is right. If it weren't for having a housefull of kids,I'd bring Devilman96s 1009 over to compare them, it's here at the house.

Edit, here are 2 pics I just took.

Attachments

Starlight

Holy CRAP ! The small cable is running off the back positiive, delivering 24 v. to truck systems ! No wonder we're blowiong bulbs etc. and no wonder there are shunts at the relays... to protect them ! Wow, learned a lot on this one guys. Someone didn't know the system and I'm affraid it's the guy who redid the battery cable ends for me. Thanks for all the help, we'll see how much damage has been done, T

Crash_AF

Yep, that would be your problem, the small red cable is supposed to run from the back negative or front positive to deliver 12V to the truck.

Later,
Joe

AJMBLAZER

Subscribed...

Just as a bit of advice, I took a black permanent marker, cleaned the boots and ends of the battery cables up nice, and then labelled them "front pos to rear neg", "front neg", etc according to their positions and where the wire came from. That way if I get confused all I have to do is read them and connect them to the battery as such.

Starlight

Darn good idea. I don't know how everything including alternators were not destroyed with 24 v. running through them. Now I "think" I know what those shunts were for befor relays. They're probably to protect the relay from over voltage. Thanks for everyone's help here. Also, finally found the manuals on here. Whatever I printed out led you to "see your supervisor" every time I got near the issue. Well, I've been out of the service for many years so ....I don't have a supervisor...sept the wife of course. Take care, T

Michael

That just means you need to go to the next higher level of manual. You can't just start with the highest level manual because it will usually assume that all of the lower level stuff has already been done.

beetleswamp

Re: RE: rear battery

Crash_AF said:
Yep, that would be your problem, the small red cable is supposed to run from the back negative or front positive to deliver 12V to the truck.

Later,
Joe
This is getting a little off topic but seems like an appropriate place to pose this question about my vegoil conversion.

I have a goldenrod filter heated with two 60g glow plugs on a 30amp relay and the instructions say to connect the 30/51 load terminal to a direct 12v power source. Just want to make sure it's okay to go right to the back neg or front pos. I'm running activation terminal through the ign plugs in the fuse block.

Diesel is almost $5.40 a gallon here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks