• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help GL

Melvinitis

GL,
I have been trying to get proof the cucv (M1028 ) I have and bought from you is "street legal". GM tells me because it is built to milspec, they can not issue a letter. They told me to talk with the auction people and see if you can issue a letter or give me a gov contact.
Thanks for your help. Of course, feel free to PM me.

Westech

CPL
what? this is not a contact point for GL. This is a place to ask questions about GL. What are you trying to do get a title? if so you should have got a SF97 with your truck. I just got 2 titles for my 5 tons this week using SF97's.

Melvinitis

I remember before I got deployed GL was monitoring these and responding to these posts.
Since you are in Madison, maybe you can help me. I have a M1028, I can not get WISDOT to give me a tittle. They claim they have no proof it is highway safe. My door sticker is faded, teh only thing that can be read fromt he door sticker is the vin.
GM said they don't know the milspecs so they do not know if it is highway safe. How did you get yours registered.
I will PM you with my work number, if you don't mind, lets chat.

Westech

CPL
Well you need a SF97. If you did not get one with the auction really your F-ed. The VIN will come up as a GM pick up truck but again with no title or SF97 its not going to happen in WI. Also the door VIN is NOT what they need or even care about. They need the VIN under the windshield. Even if there the same the door numbers mean jack. The only other thing you can try besides getting a out of state bill of sale is getting a Homemade title. Like you took a bunch of Military trucks and made one good one, you will need to have a state trooper inspect and clear the truck. This might be a way to go for you. Go back to the DMV, tell them you parted a truck back together and need it inspected to get a title for it.

Melvinitis

I have the sf 97. The door sticker is what says something long the line of... this vehicle comply's with all fed standards at time of mfg. I have no issue with the vin, but the vin does not tell DMV that it is street legal.

I have been told the only people that can register surprlus vehilces is the main DMV (all by mail) the branch offices will not register military trucks unless there is a tittle already and the SF97 is not a tittle. So henderson, that will not work, you can not forum shop.

Westech, I did send you a PM. if you can give me a call, love to talk to you.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The door stickers that I have on 4 CUCVs say absolutey nothing about Conforming to US Standards.

All it has is the tire size, Gross Vehilcle Weight, the VIN with a bunch of Xs.

One major problem is the Door can be replaced and the VIN number on that decal is no longer valid. You can only use the dash and the door post that are riveted.

The only sticker that say anything about Conforming to US Standards are for the engine.

I have registered over 20 military trucks in the past year and have never been asked to show a Conforming Sticker.

I just checked my uncles Ford pickup and it does have the sticker that says "This vehilce conforms to all US Safety regulations in place at time of Manufacture".

I would find a local tag agent and and walk the paperwork thru.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been told the only people that can register surprlus vehilces is the main DMV (all by mail) the branch offices will not register military trucks unless there is a tittle already and the SF97 is not a tittle. So henderson, that will not work, you can not forum shop.

If that is the case no one would be able to title a new car at a branch office, as they only have a Certificate of Manufacture and not a title.

The SF-97 is the same as a Certificate of Manufature.

Someone is smoking something and is passing the buck.

Get with someone in your state that has registered an MV and use that branch. Hope you get it worked out.

Last edited:

usmc320

GL issued a FL title for my deuce. See if they will give you one of those instead of the SF-97. Good luck.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was a WI resident for over 30 years before changing to TX. Have had the same problems in the past. The DMV needs to be one of the main branches not the smaller ones that just does renewals. If the person there or a supervisor THINKS they know the laws it will be a PITA. Like mentioned above Westech just did the registration with SF-97's it can be done. It is the people at your DMV that are the problem. Remember also, the SF-97's aren't transferrable-they must be in your name and not someone elses.

Melvinitis

I am with all of you. I think we are all on the same page. I looked at my car's sticker, it says conforms with xxx at time of mfg (the xx are stuff I don't ahve memorized, but somthing like a US Reg 22.44). That is what she wants, that or a letter saying it conformed at time of mfg.
my problem is some idiots register a tracked vehicle, some mules, and other crazy stuff here in WI a few years back. They (WISDOT) got burned. They know it is a Chevy Pickup, but they have some strict rules on ensuring it was built to standard. And just cause it is a Chevy pickup, does not mean it conforms. I posted this earlier, I had a Subrban in the middle east, made in Janesville Wisconsin, built to UAE specs. I would not have been street legal in the US without significant modification, glass, door reinforcments, emissions etc.)
What is this new $20 registration you are talking about? First I heard of it. I would be fine with waiting till August.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Every SF-97 I got from GL came with a FL title......the only one newer than 1976 was the M915. Never any issues here in Bama getting registration. I think the issue is with the local DMV...you may have to go over their heads.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks