• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help - Glow plugs don't come on!

rjinga

Someone who owed my '85 M1009 before I did thought they understood automotive electrical wiring, but they didn't. I knew I didn't, so as long as everything was working, I left the spider ball of wires under my dash alone. Well, I decided that I wanted to add a 12v power outlet. I spliced into the power wire on the aftermarket fog lights, attached my ground, and "ta da", I've got power. However, now the headlights don't work.

Ok, check the fuses. Long story short, I ended replacing ALL the regular bladed fuses with new, correct amperage, fuses. Plus, there were short loops of wire stuck into fuse outlets and stuff like that. I took all that out. Headlights, and everything else, are working now. Or so I thought. Since my purging in the fuse box, the "wait" light doesn't come on and the glow plugs don't cycle. This all happened in the middle of the summer, so I just thought that the glow plugs weren't cycling because it was so warm. But, it's been about 6 weeks, and we've had one cool spell, but still no light or cycling.

I copied off the Glow Plug System troubleshooting section of my trusty TM and tried to follow it; however, it seems like there isn't any power getting to the module at all. I even tried wiring in a manuel switch, but that didn't work either. Help! aua

rjinga

Ok, latest update: we had a nice cool front come through on Friday (high in the low 70s), and it was in the mid-60s by the time I was going to crank my M1009 and move it from the street to the garage so that I could run the TM glowplug troubleshooting section one last time. I was expecting trouble cranking it since it was so cool, but guess what happen? I turn the key to the "run" position and the wait light came on and the glowplugs cycled!

Now, today it had warmed back up and when I went to crank it in the afternoon, no light and no cycle? Could the temperture sensor part of the glowplug system be bad?

rjinga

Ok, I'm having a Matrix moment - what if the glow plugs are cycling correctly now and the way they used to cycle before was wrong???

We got the M1009 in January of this year and the glow plugs would cycle every time that it was cranked for the first time that day. This was true even during the summer. Does everyone else's CUCV cycle everytime it's first cranked year-round? If not, what is the average temperture where the glow plugs kick in?

We had another cool spell last night (low in the high 40s - low 50s), and the glow plugs cycled this morning.

mistaken1

My glow plugs cycle every time I do a cold start (year round).

How much time is needed between a shutdown and the next start to make it a cold start where the glow plugs cycle is obviously a function of the outside temperature.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks