• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HELP!! Got my Deuce stuck!

stumps

you can also take a couple 2ft long pieces of 4x4 chain them to the back of the front tires going through the hole in the wheel then put the truck in reverse back up slowly .after it has climbed out of the holes repeat as needed but that can get you out to
That works great! Kind of a poor mans set of snow shoes. Be mindful of what will happen if the wheel spins, and the board travels up over the top of the wheel. Be sure that it won't take out a brake line, or something else that is important. Ideally, you want to drive over the board, stop, and re-set the board/chain, and drive over it again. That isn't always what happens, though.

I have used a piece of chain in a very simple way: Take a short chunk of chain, and pass it through the slot in the wheel, across the tread, and bolt the free ends together... loosely.... It makes a simple set of "chains" and gives a little extra grab each revolution of the spinning wheel. You only need a couple of short chunks of chain, and a couple of bolts and washers... easy stuff to keep in your emergency kit. In the case of your truck, a little extra traction on the front wheels would probably be all that is necessary to make the difference.

You aren't dragging your belly, so it won't take much to get out of that mess.

One of the more experienced mud bogger/snow drivers might be able to just finagle her out as she is.

-Chuck

tm america

you want to do both front tires so they both go over together and yes as soon as it goes over you have to unchain and reset if needed.this is in the wheeled vehicle driver manual and i think its in the recovery manual to

sgtrisk

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I'll try the digging and saqnd first, then maybe holde my breath and close my eyes while I try the 4x4 option! I womder if I could get away with just one side? Probably not.

I'll let you know what happens!!

BTW, we got about 24" of snow out of this storm. I'm located just north of Charlottesville, VA.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Brad,

I really wish someone were close enough to help. Braving 24" of snow to come do a pull would deserve a big at-a-boy.

The 4x4 trick is tried and true but can be hard and slow to accomplish with some risk of the vehicle sliding on ice and snow. Since you have 24 inches of snow, it's gonna be fun digging out since it's probably like concrete by now.

Another possibility but also with a fair amount of work is if you have two old wheels, you could pull your rear outter duals and put the wheels (without tires) on. Then use this as a capstan winch to pull yourself backwards. Need a very large tree to pull against behind you though. Never tried it but it's in the manual.

sgtrisk

Well, there's a tree "near" by. I have my doubts about the strength of the rope I have... but I'll try ALL of the above!!! And take "real" pictures! :-D

Thanks again, guys!!!

Farmun

you can also take a couple 2ft long pieces of 4x4 chain them to the back of the front tires going through the hole in the wheel then put the truck in reverse back up slowly .after it has climbed out of the holes repeat as needed but that can get you out to
We used to do this when our 4x4 tractors would hit those wet springs in the fields, but we used the drag from behind the disc. Worked really well. Should work with a deuce also.

sgtrisk

Okay!! Got it out with relatively little trouble. A little digging of snow, some coarse sand and a decent truck helping with a chain. Two tries and up it came. Frankly, I was impressed!!

BUT, those tires are USELESS on packed, slick snow!!! They work great in fresh snow, or something where they can break through... But what we've got now... well, you guys know!

Again, thanks for all the advice! I've learned a GREAT deal this weekend!

tm america

glad it worked for you .now stay out of the ditches :roll:m109s do pretty good since they have more weight than a normal deuce i would look into some xls or zxls they do way better in snow,rain shoot they do better in everything singles help grealy to:-D

rmgill

A set of tire chains for situations where you have reduced wet traction issues seems warranted. I recently bought a set of 1100x20 chains for the front and rear axles for just this issue as well as muddy road travel as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks