• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HELP! HIAB question (CRANETRUCK)

wehring

I am going to pick up a correct deuce HIAB and I need specs to know which trailer to take. Anyone know how much it weighs? Itis disassembled. Component specs is also appreciated.

Justin Wehring
281 483 8422

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Weight is about 3,800 lb. I'll look for some dimensional drawings hang on a few minutes...

This model is almost identical to mine, which is mil spec, if you can't read the small print, send me your email addy and I'll get you a better copy.
Dimensions in mm. (1 inch = 24.5 mm)

Attachments

wehring

HA! Too funny....

Did you use BOTH hands??? :eek:)

I made a stencil today at work. ETHAN CRANE will contrast the camo of the main boom in Intl Orange.

Justin

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HIAB to the Rescue

I posted my ad for Ethan's HIAB a few days ago, and three SSs wanted to buy it. Justin's enthusiasm won me to choose him, instead of having the high bid decide. He was excited that it has the correct label saying it was designed for the M35A2C, and wanted to drive from Texas to Virginia this weekend to pick it up. Justin lives in Houston, and plans to use his HIAB-equipped deuce as a rescue vehicle when the next big storm hits. He says that the crane can reach over the top of the cab, and remove trees from the road. I think I recall that Ethan said it could reach 30 feet and still do some heavy lifting. Justin also promised to send photos as he proceeds, which should be interesting. To me, it also shows that he is one of the many SS members take pride in being useful when needed.

Robert Alexander

p.s. Steve in El Paso who wanted trailer sides and bows: email me directly or send a PM, the email address you have posted in the SS site is incorrect, and you don't show up on the member location map.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: HIAB to the Rescue

Wow Reading Ethan's posts sure made me miss him. I am sure that it is going to the right place with the intent to do what he said. In the Dallas area it means moving a lot of boats too I always saw them along the side of the Interstate after big storms down there..

wehring

Getting on the Road tomorrow!

Tomorrow begins the journey. I expect to make it to see Bjorn on Saturday and Robert on Sunday. After loading the crane, the little wife and I are going to tour DC before going down to Gainesville to see another SS member with a great hydro steering setup. We hope to return home to TX by the 18th.

Wish us luck...

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112 cell

54reo

RE: Getting on the Road tomorrow!

Good luck Justin, and safe travels.

Be sure to take plenty of pics!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Justin and his wife Amanda stopped by last evening (too dark for pictures, so don't ask) and the HIAB was demonstrated by the light from the deuce work lights. Great people! Justin is very excited about rebuilding Ethan's crane. They left for Richmond at around 21:00 hrs.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Glad it's going to a good home. I'm sure he is very pumped after seeing yours operate Bjorn. I know I've always been impressed with it and proud to say it's worked in my yard before and helped give life to my M108A2.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Kenny, it has never let me down, except for a couple of times when an inferior (non-original) hydraulic hose coupling gave way.

We discussed the damage to Ethan's crane housing and decided that it could be repaired without too much difficulty. The pitted hydraulic rams will need some rework and new seals for sure, all within Justin's capabilities.

Attachments

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Justin and Amanda got to Ethan's house at 2 a.m., and slept in their borrowed Hummer instead of waking us. Today (Sunday) we used Ethan's gantry crane to lift the HIAB parts from 6x6 lumber in the carport and place them in Justin's Uhaul trailer. Amanda took some photos. After loading, showerins, and some conversation over grilled chicken, they drove to find a motel near DC. They plan to get moving early in the morning in order to beat the traffic and get a parking spot on the street. We warned them that four days would not be enough time to take in DC, but they do have to keep to a schedule. They will pick up their loaded trailer when they return tomorrow evening or the next morning. We enjoyed their company. We also met SS Rick Sutton, who drove here in his deuce and picked up a couple of tail lights. All likeable people.

scooter01922

+1 armyman, just read through that old post myself, for the first time. It is a rather big downer. RIP ethan, good to see that crane going to a fellow SS member, i know it will have a good home.

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The HIAB is loaded in Justin's trailer, thanks to Ethan's gantry crane. Justin called to say that they are staying in DC another day. They will visit the Library of Congress among other attractions.

The photos were taken in front of Ethan's house. The gantry crane was lowered so it would fit in his carport. The big steel box and stripped deuce engine will be scrapped. Several months ago Ethan wrote a post with a photo of his old Volvo wagon pulling a CUCV. It still runs at 385,000 miles (240 series Volvos are great! His is a 1980, the final year was 1993), and one of its final jobs will be to tow this steel to the scrap yard using Ethan's generator trailer. I will post a photo at the tail of Ethan's old thread.

Robert

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but are these parts on the trailer? The extension is a heat treated 6Ft rectangular piece, which may be expensive to replace and the hydraulic outriggers, which are barely seen in the image of the truck.
It's not my business, but maybe Ethan had those parts stored out of sight.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wished I were nearby, would love to have that engine can. Do you have the lid for it?