• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help identify my trailer

Maxpowerzz

I picked this cool little trailer up from Gov Liquidation not too long ago, I'd been looking for one for a long time. The Forest Service had it, and they thought it was a WWII trailer but did not have any details about it. I'm assuming it's an M416 but don't know. I've looked around but haven't found any answers, but I know you guys are the pros and if anyone can identify it you can. Here are some pics:

Attachments

Maxpowerzz

Thanks maddawg! Is this a Regular m416 or an m416a1? Is there a way to figure out the year from the data plate attached? I'm trying to keep the OE axle but am not sure what the particular specs are for the kit to rebuild the axles as I understand there are slight variations? Unfortunately a tail gate was poorly hacked in so I can't totally restore it and the plug was cut off. Also, any good links to a site for good used military tires? I assume this has been repainted but in scraping off paint the blue looks pretty original?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
+1 to what harleyhouse said - the A1 variant had the surge brakes on the tongue. Your trailer, Max, is an original M416. There is no way to determine the year from the data plate, UNLESS the month and year of manufacture is stamped into it. If the rear data plate is missing, or the date isn't stamped, I can't help you.

When I rebuilt my M416 in 1998, I got the axle seals and bearings from NAPA. I just went by the info stamped on the parts themselves, and the NAPA guy was very helpful.

The blue paint you have on there is not original. Now, it could have been an Air Force trailer if it was blue, but a much darker blue called Strata Blue. Could the blue paint you have be Strata Blue in a very faded condition? Maybe, but I doubt it.

There are no sources for used military tires in good shape. The majority of jeeps and jeep trailers were auctioned off by DRMO in the 1970s through the 1980s. Maybe some tires and parts got let go in the 1990s as well, but that's almost 20 years ago. The only source for tires now are new repro tires, which for safety sake is your best bet anyways. The proper size is 7.00x16 NDCC. You can get them here:

https://www.universaltire.com/truck-and-military/military/700-16-firestone-military-ndcc.html

or here:

Firestone Military NDT - 700-16 - Miltary/Truck