• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help identify noise

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:)
It needed to be done. The valve for the "high" setting was frozen and the piston cooling valve needed cleaning. Replacing the whole assembly was a good thing. Thanks for pointing it out!

EZFEED

So how many miles do you have on this rig? Have you checked on pricing for new mains and rod bearings?

If you have a chance to pull the oil pan then do a plastigage check on the mains and rod clearances. This if anywhere is where you'd be losing oil pressure internally since everything gets squeezed into there.

Your crank journals should float on a constantly moving layer of oil that is held to a specific clearance by your bearings. Cold start ups and the issue of having no oil for X period of time till buildup during startup is what wears these surfaces to nothing. Once you get excessive wear your pump starts losing resistance and instead of squeezing oil through the galleys, crank, rod and bearings, like it should it just flows free and offers no blanket of oil for the parts to ride on. Now the downward force from compression and firing is no longer cushioned by oil but is now metal to metal (knock) as the oil just flows right on out.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started the engine again this morning. Ambient was a balmy 40°F.
Oil pressure gauge in "pre-filter" port.
Oil pressure built rapidly after about 11 seconds at zero after start and stayed at 90 psi for a while and dropped to 55 in five minutes.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did a test, 45 degrees outside. all readings are from truck's instruments.

cold start:
15 seconds to register oil pressure.
5 more seconds to oil pressure of 90 psi
waited 30 seconds
increase RPM to 1250, pressure remained 90.
wait 30 seconds.
shut off engine, turned electricity back on immediately.
oil pressure was at 60 dropping to 20 in 15 seconds
dropped to 10 after 40 more seconds, and stayed there..
shut off electricity.
waited 2 minutes.
turned on electricity
oil pressure zero.
started engine
oil pressure went to 90 immediately.
warmed engine to 150 degrees.
oil pressure at 80.
shut off engine and immediately turned electricity back on.
oil pressure was 60, dropping to 20 in 5 seconds
15 seconds later, was at 10, and stayed there for 30 seconds.
shut off electricity with pressure still about 10.
end.

Not sure what all this means.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patrick, if you get 90 psi on the dash gauge, I think you may have a regulator problem, it's supposed to open at 65-70 psi.
I have 90 pre-filter pressure and 70 tops on the gauge at any time.
We are still learning here. :)
I'm curious about the "after shut down" pressure. Compare the "suction" noted at the pre-filter port yesterday, by yours truly.

Edit: The "70 tops" is on the gauge when installed in the oil sampling port, never more than about 55 on the dash gauge.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
could be I have a 120PSI guage on a 60PSI sender.. I have never really checked with a known guage.

I suppose I would also have the suction, since that means there is still a 'full-ish' filter assy there.

There is a very large difference in drain-down and pressure-drop behavior between cold oil and hot oil, looks like no matter what the multi-weight specs say or mean.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
About engine oil, the TM calls for 10 weight in the temp range of 40°F to -10°F. Wonder how it would behave at the temps we are experiencing at the moment.

Devilman, we need your data input here (Florida temps).

Patrick, if you can read 90 on your gauge it's obviously a 120 range gauge not 60..... 90 psi on the 120 scale should be about 45 on the 60 psi scale (75%).

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Bjorn,

What was the outcome/cause regarding you low oil pressure situation? I read the thread twice, maybe I missed it. I'm having an issue on one of my trucks, runs about 30 or so freeway, drops down to just off the bottom line at idle, I'm guessing 10-15 psi, hot. I have a 0-120 gauge, and also swapped in a 0-60 gauge, didn't see any difference, which didn't seem right too me......

Ed

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks