• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help Identify this Building Mover MV

Katahdin

Anybody know what this is? I've only been made aware of it recently, but its been employed in my town for decades by a family building mover business.

merry1.jpgmerry2.PNGmerry3.PNG

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Pacific M26/M26A1. About 2,100 were built in the two variants by Pacific Car and Foundry Company, (which is now PACCAR).

Engine was originally a 17ltr (240HP) Hall Scott engine with tandem chain drives and had a top speed of around 28MPH.

Was capable of towing 80,000lbs (40 tons) which was enough for the tanks of the day.

Later on, some were used to move parts of Saturn Rockets for NASA during the Apollo Program.

And evidently, buildings and houses!!!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
In reality, the 80,000 lbs was a guess working weight, in fact NOBODY KNOWS the MAX weight it can handle. The m26a1 came about because the m26 armored cab was so heavy on the front axle that it was breaking it do to the road bounce, SO someone realized that the m26 WAS NOT a front line tank retriever, but used towards the rear, and since rear use did not require a armored cab and all that weight, so the m26a1 came into being, soft top, tin cab, ect

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
279e63b4a5ddc94d43c15f02c738a0fc-678x381.jpgmaxresdefault.jpgM26 Chain drive.jpg83677775.UFQveUs3.1888M25engineHallScott440.jpg M26 & M26A1, and the chain drive common to both models. Also a photo of the Hall-Scott 440 engine used in both vehicles.

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hall Scott engines were fun to work on. LA City fire had a fleet of them back in the day, IIRC they were the 590s, 1100 CID gasser.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's called a"Dragging Wagon".
Hate to be the grammar police - but it's actually a "Dragon Wagon".

There is a vet in town who drove the armoured one in WWII and a friend in the UK has one - with trailer.

There was a thread some years back with pics of the one that NASA had.

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Hate to be the grammar police - but it's actually a "Dragon Wagon".

There is a vet in town who drove the armoured one in WWII and a friend in the UK has one - with trailer.

There was a thread some years back with pics of the one that NASA had.
Agreed. Also, one clip I read said the name "Dragon Wagon" was given to the truck due to the enormous fireballs that would belch out the exhaust at times.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anybody know what this is? I've only been made aware of it recently, but its been employed in my town for decades by a family building mover business.

View attachment 739918View attachment 739919View attachment 739920
Looks like a "serious" after market horn on the front..................who'd pull out in front of that beast?? When were they last in service? There was something similar on display at Ft. Hood with the double chain drive. I was amazed at the time that such a vehicle existed. Oh, the stories these old girls could tell, if they could talk!! Thanks for sharing............found it interesting that NASA used em too.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
In service well into the 50s, maybe even early 60s, the m123 replaced it and the prime mover m20, as a straight truck m20, when a m20 was pulling the 45t three axle full pull trailer, the combo was considered a m19 tank recovery unit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks