• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help identify this genset

markland556

Well I picked up this 25~KW genset the other day. Looks to be an older unit, but in pretty good shape.
Ive been able to get it fired up... well kind of.. losing prime on the fuel supply and no gauges or electronic throttle control.

My biggest issue is that I cant seem to find and sort of documentation on this thing at all.
The engine has a VM System tag on it. 3600RPM
The generator is a Lima 25KW unit.
Only other plate I could find is on the back and hardly legible. It reads E&E Equipment.
I should have snapped a picture of the control panel.. whoops..
It also have 2 cord reels tucked away inside it. Pretty neat feature.

If anyone has any information at all on this genset I would greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

rustystud

The engine looks like a "VMMotori" made by FIAT with a HR488 OHV 2.0L engine. Chrysler had part ownership of this company and then GM until 2007. They are fully owned by FIAT now. The generator looks like the German VMTECH company made it.

Guyfang

Staff member
Well, its not anything the Military bought and issued in any great number, if at all. I looked at my gen set disk, and there is no such gen set. So it may be something bought "Off the Shelf" for a special project, or somehow a piece of foreign military equipment slipped into the government liquidation system.

This sort of thing can happen. I went to an unnamed Combat Engineer unit that had just returned from deployment, and as they were unloading containers, watched several "Exotik" pieces of equipment being unloaded. I helped fix some of it, and had to call a manufacture in Italy for some tech assistance. The company was very curious as to how an american military unit had "acquired" the equipment. Wanted to know serial numbers and such. Sadly, the phone connection failed at that point.

Perhaps you need to take a closer look for some kind of further markings. On the pictures you posted, I saw no NSN. If the thing belonged to the US, or any of the NATO countries, there will be a NSN someplace on the set. The fifth and sixth number of the NSN will tell you from which country it comes from.

rustystud

Well, its not anything the Military bought and issued in any great number, if at all. I looked at my gen set disk, and there is no such gen set. So it may be something bought "Off the Shelf" for a special project, or somehow a piece of foreign military equipment slipped into the government liquidation system.

This sort of thing can happen. I went to an unnamed Combat Engineer unit that had just returned from deployment, and as they were unloading containers, watched several "Exotik" pieces of equipment being unloaded. I helped fix some of it, and had to call a manufacture in Italy for some tech assistance. The company was very curious as to how an american military unit had "acquired" the equipment. Wanted to know serial numbers and such. Sadly, the phone connection failed at that point.

Perhaps you need to take a closer look for some kind of further markings. On the pictures you posted, I saw no NSN. If the thing belonged to the US, or any of the NATO countries, there will be a NSN someplace on the set. The fifth and sixth number of the NSN will tell you from which country it comes from.
I was curious about an "Italian" engine generator too ! I thought since GM had owned 50% until 2007 was the reason they bought it, but your explanation makes more sense Guyfang.

markland556

Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it. I had a feeling that this might have been one of those odd balls that came from who knows where.. The fabric inside this thing looks identical to old Mercedes interior pieces. The 804 I have has a nice wiring diagram printed on the inside of it. Someone was thinking ahead on that one. This might be a fin adventure.. Well I guess im just going to have to start tracing wires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks