• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help identify this trailer

ecupirate

Picked this trailer up at a county auction, they stated it had a generator mounted on it. I plan on mounting my MEP 831A on it. Does anyone have any idea what model it may be, of course there are no tags on it and it appears to have been cut on and modified.

Thanks,

140_700_1.jpg140_700_2.jpg140_700_3.jpg

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like it started life as a M762 utility trailer, they were often used as generator trailers or carried portable light towers. The diamond plate bed is not original, looks like it had a hard life. Can be cleaned up and made pretty again, but I wouldn't bid more than a couple hundred for it in that shape.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
It looks to me like it started out as an m416a1 judging by the surge brake and hubs. The fenders also have bolt holes where they were bolted to the tub. I think the only manufacturer was Parkhurst starting in 1978.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Here's a picture of a very similar trailer. This one is also an m416a1 coverted to haul a generator; I'm not sure if it was converted by the military or not. This one had a 1000lb mep-002a on it which is too much weight for this frame, broke some welds on the hitch and bent the a-frame a bit. An mep-831 would be no problem though.
image.jpg

ecupirate

Thanks for the input I think we have it narrowed down to those two. I inspected prior to purchase and most rust was surface, it seemed to be in decent shape. I payed a few hundred bucks which I thought was reasonable. I plan on cleaning it up and spraying it tan to match my generator. Even though the 831 is only 3kw that thing is a beast to handle so this will help give me the mobile power I have been wanting. Thanks!!

rkstreet

Thanks for the input I think we have it narrowed down to those two. I inspected prior to purchase and most rust was surface, it seemed to be in decent shape. I payed a few hundred bucks which I thought was reasonable. I plan on cleaning it up and spraying it tan to match my generator. Even though the 831 is only 3kw that thing is a beast to handle so this will help give me the mobile power I have been wanting. Thanks!!
My first post here, and not to hijack the thread, but can someone share details about the wheels on the trailer?

I have purchased wheels like that I plan to install on my 1947 Bantam but would like to know things like are they 2 piece rims, do they need inter-tubes, etc.

Thank you very much.

Kevin

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
My first post here, and not to hijack the thread, but can someone share details about the wheels on the trailer?

I have purchased wheels like that I plan to install on my 1947 Bantam but would like to know things like are they 2 piece rims, do they need inter-tubes, etc.

Thank you very much.

Kevin
The wheels on the trailers pictured above are the same as on m151 series 1/4 ton trucks. If I remember right the bolt pattern is the same as the one on your Bantam, but the center hole may be too small to fit over the hub. The m151 wheels also will sit closer to the trailer tub, I'm not sure if they will hit the body or not.
They are one piece rims; inner tubes are used with the military style tires but I've run modern radial tires tubeless with no problems.