• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help identify this truck box

D6c

Ran across this trailer made from what looks like a WWII military truck box...at first I thought CCKW or 1 1/2 Ton Chevy but doesn't seem to match. Shorter and narrower than a CCKW (108" x 70" on tag) and doesn't look like the 1 1/2 ton pics I found (beveled corners on front of box)

Anyone know what it is?trailer4.jpgtrailer3.jpgtrailer2.jpgtrailer1.jpg

D6c

Looks like a WWII Chevy ton and a half dump body.
I think maybe you're right. The beveled box corners was what was confusing me. Did a search for "G506 Dump" and found pics of trucks with similar boxes.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I can track down who owns it, what would a 1 1/2 ton box be worth?
To someone trying to piece together a Chevy dump, priceless. But there are not many of those people around. Shipping this is also very costly. Maybe you should buy it and then find the chassis to go with it?

D6c

Got a closer look at it this evening. It's not beat up much but the sockets for the top bows are rusted out. Floor isn't perfectly flat but not too bad and not rusted out. I'm guessing it's a fairly early model as the tail light lens is different than I've seen and the tarp hooks are cast or forged instead of stamped. I'm not very familiar with what was used on the 1 1/2 ton. Tail gate and tool box door look almost perfect....wish it was a CCKW, I need both.
Trailer frame is just a home built channel iron welded to the bottom of the box. Doesn't look like they chopped any of the box mating it to the frame, which is good.

I think it can be bought for $150 as he was thinking of piling it full of iron and taking the whole thing to the scrapper.
If I use the tool box door and trailer socket for my CCKW, and if I can't find a buyer for the box, I could probably sell the tailgate fairly easily. (after using as a pattern to build one for the 2 1/2 ton.)

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks