• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

help im stuck in sarasota fl

tripp2727

i am in sarasota fl and my 1009 wont start. within last two weeks replaced glow plugs and relay. started and ran fine after that and now im in florida for work and it started having trouble starting on monday but would always start till this morning. the glow plug relay is cycling more rapidly like it did when my gp's were bad. of course i dont have any tools and my truck is sitting in my hotel parking lot. if anyone is near this area and could possibly lend a hand it would be much appreciated. i am across from the sarasota airport.

jag7720

you could unplug the controller card, cut the blue (i think) wire and ground it to manually activate the glow plugs.

as long as that wire DOESN'T hit ground , the plugs will remain off.

aboonski

Pull the glow plug card to disable the glow plug system, remove your air breather and shoot a very short burst of starting fluid into the intake manifold then crank the motor. It should start right away and continue to run if it is getting fuel. I learned this from watching my friend Lavarok start his M1010 when we were retrieving it up at a Navy base in SC. Just make sure your motor is cold and that your glow plug sustem is dead before using the starting fluid otherswise you will damage the motor!

aboonski

I just went back and looked at one of your threads about using waste motor oil in your CUCV. Unless you filtered it down to 1 micron this could be the reason that you are having trouble starting your truck. If your injectors are clogged there is very little you can do except get a tow to where you are going. If you were over here on the east coast I would have already been there to help diagnose the problem.

papercu

I don't know how hard it is to pull the card but you can pull the wire off each plug and I don't even pull the air breather cover just spray a very short amount around the air breather intake, the first one you hear crank up this way, you'll understand why you don't want to use too much fluid. Good luck. Wayne

aboonski

Forgot to provide my phone number in case you need anything else: 321 427-3070. Pulling the wire off of each of the glow plugs is a great idea that I did not think of. Also not having to pull the air cleaner is interesting too. I guess it is the fumes that do the job when it comes to using starting fluid. I just hope the fuel filter is not clogged because that is a job to do in the parking lot of a motel!

tripp2727

ok found tools and replaced the glow plugs again and it started immediately. not sure if the oil caused the plugs to go bad that fast or if it is more of a ip/ ip solenoid problem because it is still having a hard time starting. after reading some other threads thats what im leaning towards. it will start up and then shut down and then its takes some cranking the get it going again. if i can limp it home back to atlanta on friday i should be able to dig deeper. thanks for all the help and suggestions

FM5332FF

If you have any other problems i live about a hour south of sarasota. Just give me a call and ill head up. thats as long as im not on duty. I was on yesterday so i have today and tomorrow off.
Chris. 239 340 4407

wheelspin

same here as I am not that far from the Sota. just south. we can get you going. my cell# 941-628-6260 . my buddy a diesel mechanic and can make any thing run.

jake

motormayhem

Well i cant say for sure, but a little while after I began running a mix of diesel, waste vegetable oil, and transmission fluid, my IP went out with no warning. Just driving down the street and lost power and died within 2 miles. Never had a hard time starting or any symptoms. Now I just run good old #2 and she stays happy. I cant say for sure if it was the oil I ran, but the mechanic said it was all plugged up bad so i'm guessing thats what caused it. Good luck and you might want to stick to diesel.