• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help in identifying electrical part

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep glow plug module housing. Your GP controller card is missing.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/50551-cucv-switches-diodes-relays.html

Make sure you vvistit the CUCV forum page and read the CUCV Wiki and all the stickies.

Also download the free technical manuals.

Almost every question you will have has already been asked and asnwered multiple times. Advanced seach will become you new best friend.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple of SS members are selling new units.

Antennaclimber and 1stSarge (Cucvelectric.com). Cost is in the $70 range.

NOS units are hard to find and if you can find them they are in the $150 range. Used is a crapshoot.

If you do get a new unit, PLEASE follow the troubleshooting section of the TM 9-2320-289-20 technical manual for the GP system.

It will save you from burning the new card up if something else is wrong with the GP system.

Lapua Dan

I have a stupid question, but I have to ask- Does the truck start as it sits now?
I understand that the controller can be bypassed, so is that why it isn't there, or does the truck not start and you are troubleshooting?

jumpmasterjim

If the truck has been running and the engine is warm it will start without the card. otherwise the glow plugs need to work.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He just picked it up from GL at French Camp, CA and looks like someone heisted the card when they turned it in.

Yes you can install a one wire manual switch. Alot of guys do that as an emergency backup in case the controller card takes a dump.

dagsurplus

Yes, that is correct, truck came from GL and has multiple missing pieces/parts. Still discovering those; plan is to replace them all and then endeavour to start/run. Does anybody know where to get the cap for the glow plug module? Thanks in advance.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most trucks do not have a cap. None of mine have had them.

Used is the only option.

You can posta Want Ad in the classifieds to see if someone has a spare.

Last edited:

dagsurplus

Thanks, good to know. Also, there are a few red wires in the engine compartment that have smaller gauge blue wires splices near the end; seem to be from factory with large black insulator blocks. The blue insulation (coating), which is relatively thin, is falling apart. Is this normal?

top_prop

normal... sure.... good... probably not... those blue wires are called fusible links... you can wrap electrical tape around them... but remember they are designed to burn out like a fuse... so I'd just use a wrap or two to keep them from shorting out...

most purists would suggest you buy new fusible link and replace them
YMMV

Also in regards to the glow plugs, I suggest you put a manual button on. Without a controller card, or if your card goes bad, a button will allow you to manually activate the plugs in a pinch... or every day like on my truck...

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/63366-glow-plug-pass-help.html

Tom

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks