• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help! M1009 Rubbing Problem Identified

rgguin

I just got some bad news on my new M1009 rubbing problem. My mechanic friend is pretty sure it is a cracked crank shaft. I thought it was going to be a flywheel or bolt problem. He will know for sure tommorrow when he cleans it and checks it again. He said their is a wobble to the converter and flywheel that he thinks is caused by the crank.

My question is what should I do if it is the crank. Being a newbie to the M1009 and desiels in general? What will be the cost or best option. Replace motor? Replace just the crank? Any thoughts on the best place to get an engine or crank?

Thanks for any help. :cry:

mangus580

I would suggest replace the motor with one from a can at GL... although replacing the crank owrks too.

Has he pulled the flywheel off yet? I still say unless he has completely pulled the flywheel out, that its your problem.

mangus580

I would almsot put $ on the fact that the flywheel is cracked or broken :) when the cranks break, they usually break in the middle or near the front.

rgguin

Mike, there are several 6.2 engines on GL near me at Redstone Arsenal. Are these out of Hummers? Can the Hummer 6.3 be put in the M1009 without many mods?

Jetnoise400

Hey Ronnie,

If you wind up needing to replace that engine, check out Ted's Trucks n' Stuff. He operates a store on ePay, but he's always advertising HMMWV 6.2 takeouts for sale that he runs prior to sale. Best of all I believe he's in Alabama which might make it easier for you too... here's a link to his store: http://www.stores.ebay.com/tedstrucksnstuff And at least you know it runs before you buy it, unlike with GL.

Good luck!

rgguin

Mike, you were right cracked flexplate and one broken bolt. I went ahead and bought a new GM flexplate. Hope to have it finally drivable by Tuesday.

Thanks for all the help from you fellows. :lol: