• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help: M1009 Tire purchase tomorrow

rhinob

Greetings,

Once again asking for advice.....

Tomorrow I'm going to buy 5 tires for my M1009. I would like to fit 33x12.5R15's to stock rims at the stock height. Ok guys, what am I doing wrong?

Any and all thoughts welcome....

niferous

I'm going to say they won't fit. I know "fit" is a different definition for everyone else but in my opinion they won't. I have 32 x 11.50 R15 BFG All Terrains on mine and I think they are just right. Not too small and not too big. Plus they were around $150 each. I have replaced all five with this size.

1986Blazerk5

I have heard that 33's are a little to big you have to cut the wheel well in order to get them to fit

I'm going to say they won't fit. I know "fit" is a different definition for everyone else but in my opinion they won't. I have 32 x 11.50 R15 BFG All Terrains on mine and I think they are just right. Not too small and not too big. Plus they were around $150 each. I have replaced all five with this size.
Can you post some pics of the tires on your vehicle, those are they exact kind i want and would like to see what they look like on a vehicle.

rhinob

Thanks guys.

The fellow at the tire place said he's put this exact tire on one before. Of course I'm slightly suspicious.

I guess I'll have him mount one for the front first and see what I've got. And nothing says I can't put a minor lift on it at some point.

Any other feedback out there?

Last edited:

beanman1

ok with the 33 12.50s on the stock rims look good but they balloon ouy on the sides a little i had a a set of 33 10.50s on my m1009 stock rims and stock hieght that fit real good sp youdo have some options to go with but i have a set of 31 10.50s on it know but as soon as the funds get right i will be getting some tires

13 MIKE

Just put 33x12.5x15 BFG AT's on my stock height 1009 on stock rims. No issues, but i will say they were used tires at about 75%.

Last edited:

Biggles

When you are getting that close to the fenders of the truck with that large of a tire every little thing can be the deciding factor. how worn your leaf springs are, the brand of the tire, type of tread. everything. I had an s10 blazer that I put 31x10.50 BFG mud terrains used about 50% they rubbed in a couple places brand new BFG AT's in the same size only rubbed when I hit a hard bump and the had the wheel turned just right. I have also seen two virtually identical trucks one could fit 33's the other rubbed a little bit when backing up and turning. the only thing we could figure is that the leaf springs were a tiny bit saggy on the one truck and not the other. so in conclusion good luck but there is no way to really know for sure other than try it.

OL AG '89

IMHO they wont "FIT"

33's are too wide to turn without damaging the outer fenderwells... I have pictures after I did it to mine... I'll post later this P.M.

I tried 33x12.5x15's and messed up without any lift.

I added a 4" lift and now have 33x13x15's Toyo M/T....... very nice and quiet on the pavement.

HEY MIKE.... 35x15x15 on stock rims..... you should go back to your tire guy and string him UP......

No way is that a safe application the stock rim??? is 6 or 7 inches wide and he put a tire that is 2x's the rim width..... IT's not going to be pretty when those things come flying off the rims .......
Not trying to rip you, but have a GOOD friend that owns a tire shop in Houston Lake Houston Tire.... he balked at me putting the 12.5's on the stock rim
Send me a picture of your setup mounted and let me see the fit......

niferous

I think I have some pictures on my profile but here are few anyhow.

The second one has my truck sitting right next to a truck with 31 x 10.50 tires for a little comparison. Hope these help.

33 x 12.50 is really pushing without just a little lift if you ask me.

EDIT TO ADD: Check out the album in my profile. Lots of pics in there of truck with stock then the 32 inch tires on it.

Attachments

Last edited:

cleb

I had BFG Mud Terrains on my M1009. 32X11.5X15. Perfect fit, and looked good. Helped tremendously offroad. No rubbing issues, except under EXTREME rear axle flex the tire would rub the inside of the rear fender. But I was really trying...shouldn't be an issue for most situations.

rhinob

All great advice and photos. Thanks much. The tire folks are willing to try different sizes so this will help eliminate the concern, I think. I'm not trying to go too extreme. I want more on-road performance than mud slogging.

32x11.5R15 does seem like the perfect size for a stock suspension.

OL AG '89

Mike,
the 12.5 is WAY TOO wide for the stock rim.....
send some pictures please.
I will ask my buddy (Tire guy)about locating a fitment guide on the web and post the link....

Rhino,
You have found a great tire shop if they're willing to try a couple combinations before you decide.......
Make sure you figure a way to compress suspension with the tires on the truck .... people forget that the top of the fender can cause as many problems as the front and rear....
Post some pics after you've made your choice...

cucvcan

I also run 33x10.5-15's Mud T/A's with no issues. Everything stock, no rubbing, even when offroading. Plus I like the tall skinny looking mud tire. Reminds me of the old ww2 willys.

ojsdna744

I also run 33x10.5-15's Mud T/A's with no issues. Everything stock, no rubbing, even when offroading. Plus I like the tall skinny looking mud tire. Reminds me of the old ww2 willys.

That's why I went with the 33x10.50x15 also. I thought the taller skinny tire looked good! I went with A/Ts though, my truck sees more pavement then mud! rofl

jimm1009

I would say that it depends on the condition of your front springs,
My M1009 has had 33 inch tires for 15 years and except during extreme 4x4 playing I have had no damage to tire or fenders.
I did install new front springs but they were stock height and without lift.
Rear springs are 25 years old now.
The only other thing that I installed was a Chevy Quad Shock kit which is an option for two shocks per side on the front which really helps with the stock nose-dive during hard braking.
jimm1009

rhinob

Ok, much appreciated everyone. Decided to delay my tire purchase to absorb all this great information. I'm also a fan of a taller narrower tire so perhaps my best option is one of these two:

33x10.5R15
32x11.5R15

Preferences between these two I would imagine are simply aesthetic. I bet they both look equally nice and would do an equally good job in a BFG A/T.

The suspension sits like it should. Seems very low time and proper height. No sagging.