• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HELP M35A3 TRUCK 510 miles from home

DONAGUS

HELP TRUCK 510 miles from home. Driver side axle leak, appears to be big leak, gear oil, boot side of tire. Question 1 How far can I drive before damaging the air shift deferential and or other related parts. Truck in the woods.

Question 2 Can I pulled the drive shafts and get it home.

Any advice would be helpful.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You would have to pull the drive shafts and the axles so nothing in the differential is spinning. If it's the axle seal, then you are loosing differential oil. Might have to do more diagnosing so others can weigh in. Better wait for the experts to chime in though.

1qwkgoat

Since the front hubs are always "locked" the axle shafts and diff will turn anytime the front tires turn. I guess if you really wanted to you could pull the axle shafts out and drive it back. It's a pretty good sized job for being on the side of the road. Inspect and repack the bearing while you have them apart to remove the axle shafts. I must say I have never had a deuce axle apart, from what I have seen from other members pics on here I think it could be done.

I however would not recommend it. If you are going to do all that on the side of the road why not just get the seal and fix the problem?

I think your best bet would be to have it hauled the rest of the way. In the end it may turn out to be the cheapest way.

TedG

Check the vent cap on the axle housing. It may be blocked and your overpressurizing the differential. I had this on 2 different trucks so far and one was a new vent cap installed by the military (now I check them all regardless).

On a 5 ton, with full differential oil and repacked bearings and bad seal, I have gotten around 100 miles at 45mph before bearing grease wash out. Your results may vary.

Divemaster920

Banned
I agree....I would pull the vent cap and put some cotton of something in there to keep dust out. If not too much leakage after that then you should be good. I have gone 500 miles on a washout. Not the best thing to do...but if you have to..you have to.

Bill W

I'm in Brooks, Ga 30205 which is indirectly along your route home and about 75 miles from where you are now. If you need a place to work on it or even drop it off let me know
Bill

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No matter what you pull you will still leak out gear oil from the axle seal. Pull the diff fill plug and if you can at least feel the oil when your second nuckle makes the turn you are good. Run it home.

rwoods

So far from Home but so close to the GA Rally! From what I've read there be enough talent and stuff there you could be fixed in no time. Seriously, checkout what Divemaster said. If you think that is it after a short run then head towards Bill W. and keep a watch on it. Don't burn yourself checking a hot differential. Ron

DONAGUS

Bill W
I am close to the GA Rally! I can make it there. Do you know of any one with the parts I need and specially mechanical assistance/help.
This was going to be my first rally anyway .

DONAGUS

Bill W
I am close to the GA Rally! I can make it there. Do you know of any one with the parts I need and specially mechanical assistance/help.
This was going to be my first rally anyway .

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any parts that are A3 specific are expensive and hard to find. The axle seals ARE NOT identical to those on an M35A2. I know because I had to replace the axle seals and was told that the A2 seals would work. Wrong. Call Terry in CA (619-670-4268). He has forgotten more than most of us know about the A3s. He literally has built and rebuilt A3s. He has parts in stock, but they are not cheap...kinda like buying directly from AM General IF they would sell to civilians, which they won't.

Cut your losses. Get the truck hauled.

Is there any oil leaking from the CTIS? If so, you have bigger problems than an axle seal. Call Terry. He should be able to help you diagnose the problem and will be able to get the parts. Also, there are tricks to replacing the seals without damaging CTIS components. Terry knows these and can relay the info to you.

DONAGUS

Any parts that are A3 specific are expensive and hard to find. The axle seals ARE NOT identical to those on an M35A2. I know because I had to replace the axle seals and was told that the A2 seals would work. Wrong. Call Terry in CA (619-670-4268). He has forgotten more than most of us know about the A3s. He literally has built and rebuilt A3s. He has parts in stock, but they are not cheap...kinda like buying directly from AM General IF they would sell to civilians, which they won't.

Cut your losses. Get the truck hauled.

Is there any oil leaking from the CTIS? If so, you have bigger problems than an axle seal. Call Terry. He should be able to help you diagnose the problem and will be able to get the parts. Also, there are tricks to replacing the seals without damaging CTIS components. Terry knows these and can relay the info to you.
More info on Terry in CA (619-670-426:cool:. tried the number several times, no luck, is this number for a home or business. What does he go by as a number of steel soldier . Thank you for your help , DON

littlebob

Did you make it to the Rally? I would think that would be a great source of info and help.
As you have the time keep us posted. Hope you find a way to get it home without going bankrupt. I'll try to hook up with you when you get back.

cessnatwin

fill it and roll, it looks worse than it usually is! It is NO BIG DEAL! they all eventually leak, stop and check it now and again, you will get home fine, I worried my first time too

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks