• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help M818 Wont start

yamaha415

Well the M818 showed up Monday. Started up fine on the trailer, ran great minus the fumes in the cab (possible exhaust leak) but I went to start it yesterday and it just cranked.

I am brand new to these so I dont know if there is some special starting sequence or if every truck has its own picky habbits to start.

Here what I did. Before starting I turned the block heater on. Let it sit for about 20 seconds and then tried starting it. It just cranked for about 5 seconds and I stopped. I then pumped the primer a few times and tried again. No Luck. Turned the block heater back on and let it sit for about a minute and reprimed it and tried for about another 5 seconds with no luck.

Im new to these trucks like a said and from what i have read so far, most block heaters are junk, these things dont like to start in the cold (it was about 50 deg and had been raining the night before) and the batteries wear out pretty quick from cranking on them. So before I killed my batteries I thought I would come to you guys for help.

Unfortuanitly, I didnt see what the truck driver did to start it when it came off the trailer. But once it was warmed up it started up fine.

Any ideas or stop babying it and go for broke on cranking it over?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the OD Madness.

When the driver unloaded the truck did he pull the emergency stop handle? It is the t-shaped handle about the instrument cluster.

If so you will need to reset the kill switch on top of the injector pump. The tech manuals cover this and the starting procedures.

Check it and let us know

Ewa Marine

Another thing, check your emergency stop T-handle is in...If it was pulled to shut down inadverdantly you gotta open the hood and just reset it.

Deisels will ALWAYS start if they get fuel and the pistons can smoosh that to 400 psi.
Dont baby too much.

Have fun!

yamaha415

Welcome to the OD Madness.

When the driver unloaded the truck did he pull the emergency stop handle? It is the t-shaped handle about the instrument cluster.

If so you will need to reset the kill switch on top of the injector pump. The tech manuals cover this and the starting procedures.

Check it and let us know

That he did! I pushed the T handle back in, but Ill go pop the hood when its not pooring outside.
Where the best place to get a manual?
Thanks for the responces!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That he did! I pushed the T handle back in, but Ill go pop the hood when its not pooring outside.

All the manuals at located in PDF format at the top of the page under Resources.

Start with the -10 Operator Manual. It covers all the basics

You will want the following:
TM 9-2320-260-10
TM 9-2320-260-20
TM 9-2320-260-20p
TM 9-2320-260-24P-1
TM 9-2320-260-24P-2
TM 9-2320-260-34
TM 9-2320-260-34P-1
TM 9-2320-260-34P-2

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On top of the injector pump you will see a cable attached to a swing lever. push the lever back into position.

The purpose of this switch is in case of electical failure, you have to have some way to stop the fuel flow. The 800 series trucks use an electrical fuel shutoff. If the Emergency Stop is used it has to be manually reset.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Give the old girl a snort of starting fluid and if she tries to start or starts then shuts off, it is not getting fuel. If it starts or tries to start then it is a fuel problem. Do not use the glow plugs if you use starting fluid.
His Emergency Stop lever has been tripped. He will not get any fuel until it is reset. I didn't know that the M818 with the Cummins 250 have glow plugs.

Last edited:

gunboy1656

Wow thanks for all the help guys. Ill get some manuels printed off and try to take a look at it this afternoon.
I would not try to print all the manuals, will take A LOT of paper and ink, just print what you need. Like in this case the start up procedures and troubleshooting parts.

kurtkds

Like stated earlier, open the hood, locate the E-stop cable, follow it down the valve on top of the IP and open it back up.

Item #32 bottom frame of the picture.

Or you could remove the access panel in the drivers side wheel well and reach the valve from there.

I use that as a form of theft deterrent. LOL The panel on that side of my 818 was missing when I picked it up, so I have easy access to that side of the engine. When I park it for an extended period of time I reach up in the fender well and shut off the fuel. Any body that wants to drive it away will have to know where the valve is at to get it started again.

Attachments

Last edited:

area52

His Emergency Stop lever has been tripped. He will not get any fuel until it is reset. I didn't know that the M818 with the Cummins 250 have glow plugs.

The NHC 250 has one glow plug for "cold start". Its hooked up to one battery for 12V. It is supposed to preheat the intake air to help start it up.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Link to manual http://www.army6x6.com/manuals/m818/TM 9-2320-260-10.pdf
starting above 32F Place battery switch (10) in ON position,
k. Fully depress clutch pedal (8).
l. Depress accelerator (7) to halfway point.
CAUTION
• Do not hold ignition switch (16) in START position for more
than 10 seconds. If engine does not start, wait 10 to 15 seconds
before trying to start engine again. Engine starter can be
damaged.
• Do not race engine above 800-1000 rpm.
m. Place ignition switch lever (16) in START position. Release lever after engine
starts. Lever will return automatically to RUN position.
n. Release clutch pedal (8).
o. Adjust hand throttle control (9) until tachometer (12) indicates 800-1000 rpm.
Pull out emergency engine stop control (11) if oil pressure does not
register or suddenly drops to less than 15 psi (103.4 kPa) as
indicated.
p. Allow engine to run until temperature gage (13) indicates 120°F (49°C), Unlock
hand throttle (9) by turning it left or right, and push it in to allow engine speed to drop to
idle (600-650 rpm).
q. Check your instruments!
CAUTION
If any instrument reading is not normal, stop engine by turning
ignition switch (16) and battery switch (10) to OFF positions and
notify organizational maintenance.
(1) Oil pressure gage (15) should register about 15 psi (103.4 kPa).
TA 094288

yamaha415

Link to manual http://www.army6x6.com/manuals/m818/TM 9-2320-260-10.pdf
starting above 32F Place battery switch (10) in ON position,
k. Fully depress clutch pedal (8).
l. Depress accelerator (7) to halfway point.
CAUTION
• Do not hold ignition switch (16) in START position for more
than 10 seconds. If engine does not start, wait 10 to 15 seconds
before trying to start engine again. Engine starter can be
damaged.
• Do not race engine above 800-1000 rpm.
m. Place ignition switch lever (16) in START position. Release lever after engine
starts. Lever will return automatically to RUN position.
n. Release clutch pedal (8).
o. Adjust hand throttle control (9) until tachometer (12) indicates 800-1000 rpm.
Pull out emergency engine stop control (11) if oil pressure does not
register or suddenly drops to less than 15 psi (103.4 kPa) as
indicated.
p. Allow engine to run until temperature gage (13) indicates 120°F (49°C), Unlock
hand throttle (9) by turning it left or right, and push it in to allow engine speed to drop to
idle (600-650 rpm).
q. Check your instruments!
CAUTION
If any instrument reading is not normal, stop engine by turning
ignition switch (16) and battery switch (10) to OFF positions and
notify organizational maintenance.
(1) Oil pressure gage (15) should register about 15 psi (103.4 kPa).
TA 094288
Great info guys! If i cranked the engine over without resetting the emergancy t handle would it have lost its prime? Do I have to start cracking injectors or is there a pump somewhere? Or so I just reset it and try cranking her over?