• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help me ID this

Challenger410

I'm not sure if i really want my wife able to call me from the camper and ask me what i am doing while driving.. Although, i could order up a pizza and have her deliver it up front.. lol

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was just a truck on eBay that had one of those mounted in the cab too. Did you buy that one?

It's a field telephone. I have no idea why people would want one mounted in a truck. They are typically used to talk between fighting emplacements in defensive positions. Kind of cool gizmos... what I would have given for a pair as a kid, to string between two forts in the woods.

coachgeo

There was just a truck on eBay that had one of those mounted in the cab too. Did you buy that one?

It's a field telephone. I have no idea why people would want one mounted in a truck. They are typically used to talk between fighting emplacements in defensive positions. Kind of cool gizmos... what I would have given for a pair as a kid, to string between two forts in the woods.
see post #2

coachgeo

Yeah, I saw post #2. Did you think I didn't? I was just adding to the conversation.
Yeah got the impression you may not have seen the link. Would not be the first time someone reads first post then jumps to posting before reading further. anyway the page linked to answers the "Why in a truck question"

. "It is operable as a tabletop device in tents, shelters, and office environments.."
. "Digital Nonsecure Voice Terminal is designed for durability to exposure of the elements during operation and transportation"

Example, communication to and from Cab to Shelter mounted on a 1079 when in transit.

Being these are digital does this help cuts out a lot of background noise increasing communication clarity?

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y__iv23yVuQ\\

Technically, it is a Digital Nonsecure Voice Terminal. The TA-1, TA-43, and TA-312 were the primary ones used at the tactical level. The DNVT TA-1042 would have been used at a more higher level. I seem to recall we had a half dozen or so in our battalion. Not used anymore that I know of.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah got the impression you may not have seen the link cause on the page linked to it says "Digital Nonsecure Voice Terminal is designed for durability to exposure of the elements during operation and transportation. " This seems to point to that they are also used in Trucks etc. as well to communicate. such as from Cab to Bed/box or Visa Versa.

Being these are digital does this help cuts out a lot of background noise increasing communication clarity?
Yes, I read the link before I posted. I don't interpret that line to mean that. To me, that literally means both during field operations in use, and transportation, as in shipping it around.

Anyway, I've never seen one in a truck, just in fighting emplacements. I've used both the older analog phones, and the newer digital variants like this. The digital ones don't improved clarity that I noticed, but what they do is let you connect them all together and dial a number to talk to a specific one. The older analog models are basically battery powered cans-with-a-string phones, so you have to hook them up on one wire, end to end, for each communication link. The digital phones hook together like a network, saving a lot of hassle running wire, and being able to direct call whoever you want.

It still seems like the wrong tool for the job as an intercom in a truck. That's why I was surprised to see it in that eBay ad, and now someone popping up here with a new truck with one in it. It was in a truck being listed as a prepper truck, with an interesting DIY RealTree-esque paint job, if I'm remembering correctly. It had a slew of other interesting add-ons.

coachgeo

Yes, I read the link before I posted. I don't interpret that line to mean that. To me, that literally means both during field operations in use, and transportation, as in shipping it around.

Anyway, I've never seen one in a truck, just in fighting emplacements. I've used both the older analog phones, and the newer digital variants like this. The digital ones don't improved clarity that I noticed, but what they do is let you connect them all together and dial a number to talk to a specific one. The older analog models are basically battery powered cans-with-a-string phones, so you have to hook them up on one wire, end to end, for each communication link. The digital phones hook together like a network, saving a lot of hassle running wire, and being able to direct call whoever you want.

It still seems like the wrong tool for the job as an intercom in a truck. That's why I was surprised to see it in that eBay ad, and now someone popping up here with a new truck with one in it. It was in a truck being listed as a prepper truck, with an interesting DIY RealTree-esque paint job, if I'm remembering correctly. It had a slew of other interesting add-ons.
Thanks for the info. Learn something new everyday. Will be interesting to see if this is the Ebay truck mentioned or one mounted by military.

Challenger410

I am heading down to So Cal to look at this truck.. The owner is a good guy.. if the truck is as clean as it shows.. I will buy it and haul it home. As far as the phone, i thought it just had that military coolness factor and i am sure my wife will be calling me from the box as we drive..

scottmandu

Does that device use cellular or satellite or does it connect to another radio unit that connects it to worldwide communications systems?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does that device use cellular or satellite or does it connect to another radio unit that connects it to worldwide communications systems?
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, so I'll give a straight answer. It does none of those things. It connects to another device with a physical wire.

coachgeo

when first saw pic in the first post was wishing good thoughts for him..... SAT Phone[thumbzup]:clinto:. Oh well...... the wiki page deflated that. Anyway it does seem a novel and very functional addition for communicating with rear Shelter. Hope there is a mute button:burn: if Mother in Law is in the back.

GET PICTURES when you go check it out. Look forward to seeing how it as a whole is set up. You never did say..... is this the one that was on Ebay?

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You never did say..... is this the one that was on Ebay?
Yeah, I'm almost certain. He started another post asking about the cab to box pass through tunnel. In his picture there, you can see the paint job I was talking about.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks