• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help me turning a white M1028 back to camo

MFF

Hi,
I'm looking for somebody who could help me turning a white M1028 back to camo in AR or western TN. Thanks in advance!

Chris

That is a very broad request. What are you specifically looking for?

1. Camo pattern and colors?

2. Where to purchase the correct color paint?

3. How to transfer the correct pattern to the vehicle?

4. Someone with a compressor and spray gun to come over and shoot it for you?

5. Or, you have all of the above, and just need a second set on hands?

MFF

I need somebody who will do the work for me and get paid for that job. Woodland camo would be great!

Don't have the material and experience....

Thanks again!

Given your current circumstances, you should join one of the local MV clubs. Most of them have the needed equipment, knowlege, willing club members, and regular work days for projects such as yours. A great chance to meet fellow enthusiasts.

Many also participate in parades and static displays.

Oh, welcome to the hobby.

SPCWarning

Have roller, will travel!! LOL

Welcome to Steel Soldiers MV owner! I can roll you a cheap paint job just like my truck! Only kidding, I wouldn't offer to do that to anyone's ride! If you were closer you'd be welcome to use my shop and equip. (No, not my rollers, but my compressor):razz:
IF you decided to do it yourself, the easiest way would be to sand, do any body work that may be needed, prime with a good primer, then lay out the pattern and go for it. If you go to the painting threads here like the latex ones, you could get enough info to do it yourself perdy quick and perdy inexpensively. I have the CUCV patterns also if you're interested. Just saying, otherwise, best wishes on the hunt for painters. Surely there's someone close by that can do it for you. Keep us posted with pictures of your truck like before and afters.
Jimmy

Gunfreak25

YOU can do this. It's very easy.

Materials Needed ($75)

-400 grit sandpaper
-Newspaper and masking tape
-Spray gun http://www.harborfreight.com/electric-paint-spray-gun-47274.html
-Matched 383 CARC green http://www.steelsoldiers.com/paint-bodywork/66973-exterior-latex-acrylic-house-paints.html
-Rusty metal primer, 1 gallon, home depot.
-Beer (mandatory for some, optional for others)

Step 1. Sand entire truck with 400 grit. Your just roughening up any smooth surfaces.
Step 2. Wash off dust
Step 3. Spray down primer.
Step 4. Let cure 1 week.
Step 5. Spray down BEHR 383 green
Step 6. Let cure 3 weeks before washing or getting wet.

Practice playing with the texture and getting your movements down on a sheet of plywood. Spray the BEHR on thin. It will take about 3 coats. If you managed to get a couple runs or drips, missed a couple spots, congratulations. You have just performed a motor pool paint job. Seriously, it doesn't have to be perfect to look really good on a Military Vehicle. This will give you a good solid 383 base that you can add camo to later, or just leave it 383. I like plain 383.