• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help Me With Proper M1009 Bumper Markings

BigRix

Ok, I have searched a bunch of threads and I have come to the conclusion that this poor civilian doesn't know enough to figure out what my M1009 markings should be.

I got some great info from Carnac's VIN info thread but now how do I use that to make up some bumper markings.

Here is the info I got from Carnac.

Organization:0972 TH JA TM LEGAL SPT ORG Location:JACKSON
MS Nomenclature:
TRUCK UTILITY 3/4TON Model:
M1009 NSN:
2320011232665 Serial Number:
J9FF205815 Registration Number:
NF0E1U Year of Mfg:
1985 Manufacturer:
93219 Contract Number:
DAAE07-82-C-4060
Info Nov 1987

!#$%ing lawyers.

First of all the only things I can make out from the organization is Legal Support Organization.

Can I even use any of this to make up some bumper numbers?

Can you point me to the proper TM?

Sorry for showing my newbness but I want to get it correct if I can.

Current Markings on tailgate. I'm sure there are other numbers under there. I will keep sanding. The TF-470 appear to be stickers.

Attachments

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish...

mine honor my fathers WWII service -

99th ID 5/383

99th Infantry Division Easy Company 383 Battalion

HQ-0220

Mainly means Headquarters Battalion - vehicle 0220

THESE NUMBERS I JUST MADE UP - the state of Texas REQUIRES six digits to be able to register it as bumper numbers - hence the HQ-0220 is like the license plate number, only I made them up and used it to register my vehicle

View attachment 351822

View attachment 351823

those are TWO INCH numbers/letters

BigRix

I guess I'm trying to find out if I can use this info (0972 TH JA TM LEGAL SPT ORG) to make bumper numbers that are original to the truck.

If I can't do that then I will make up my own.

BigRix

While we are talking about markings, anyone else have this on there CUCV?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344395764.475532.jpg

3 in a circle on pass door. Also had at one time on all three doors a sticker and I can make out that the registration number was on it. You can see the remnants in the attached photo.

cscmc1

Ok, I have searched a bunch of threads and I have come to the conclusion that this poor civilian doesn't know enough to figure out what my M1009 markings should be.
DO you have any markings INSIDE your truck? Mine had some markings stenciled inside (I need to go look at it again to remind myself of where I saw them -- on the doors or in the door jambs maybe). I'd like to find out a bit more about my truck, too; I'll have to go check mine again!

salt6

I would look for Army Reserve or National Guard units in Jackson MS. One thing to remember these units might not be around anymore. So you will need to look at older unit histories. Your truck might have been part of a smaller detachment with the main unit located elsewhere.

I found a listing for a JA unit in Jackson on a list of mobilized units. When I left service most NG units where some sort of combat arms and AR units where support. This isn't always the cast.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
As Richard Dawson use to say on Family Feud.

Good answer, good answer. Survey says? BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Uh, um, ah .... to those that have posted before...no.

Here's what everyone needs to do first when looking for this type of information.

I used a top secret database for obtaining the information. Don't tell anyone but it is spelled G.O.O.G.L.E.

I searched jackson, MS and army and 972 and came up with the Mississippi Army National Guard 972nd Trial Defense Team (known as Judge Advocate General). That information was then confirmed using the Mississippi Army National Guard website. The vast, vast, vast majority of Army National Guard bumper numbers use the 2 letter postal state code GA, TX, MS, WV, etc, etc. Followed by ARNG. So when watching Rambo First Blood you see Washington State Army National Guard (WAARNG) but some drop the second A (WARNG) or for Georgia GANG (the gangs all here).

So the bumper would read as such on the front passenger bumper

MSARNG
972 JA TM

Drivers side would most likely say
TD-# (make up a number---that's what they did) Commander would be 6, 1SG 5, XO 7, (this part was covered in several other threads from the past).

As for the circled 3 on the dash in the one picture above, that is the weight class. It would match the round bridge plate on the front bumper/brush guard. For CUCV's it's 3 empty without trailer for 3 tons (6K pounds). For a deuce it is a number 8.

Last edited:

BigRix

Now it makes sense. I knew I didn't know enough to know how to decode all this. Know what I mean?

Thanks Carnac. I didn't want to muddy the VIN info thread with all of this mess.

Thank you for your patience with my ignorance, I didn't even know what search terms to use on google.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks