• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help mountin XZL tires

sidewinder

I finally got my rims from USA6X6 six weeks when ordered must mean 6 months to them. I am mounting these rims on XZL tires on a shortened 5 ton deuce these rims are meant to be tubeless has anyone used a "tire insert" and do you need this tire insert ring as seen here on USA6x6 sight?

http://www.offroadchat.com/showthread.php?t=1006

I do not have the tire insert and what USA6x6 sent me was a 4 plastic rings made out of plastic pipe 6" wide and a 20" egg shape circle that does not fit any thing. Very stiff and not playable.

The question I need is some input on is what if I do not use a tire insert and just use these as tubeless tires what is the pro and cons here.
Thanks

M1075

The insert functions as a double beadlock. Very handy to have when operating at low psi offroad or in case of a flat in a remote area. Not required for install though.

55Cameo

Ditto, not at all required for install and you will be glad that you do not put those in your tires. I have them in mine(same xzl's on USA 6x6 wheels) and they took about 8 hours to get them into the tires and then another 2 days to get the wheels together because of the inserts. If you were airing down to 10 psi or less to go rock crawling, then it would be benificial. For these tires with 50 - 110 psi in them there is no need for the inserts. There is about a 2" interferance fit when putting the wheels together and you would break many grade 8 bolts to get the job done if they were in there. I would however get some bead sealer to put onto the tire beads before installing and silicone the 0-rings onto one wheel half and let it set up before fighting to put them together.

55Cameo

I think that I picked it up from NAPA but you can probably get it at any parts store. You just smear it along the bead, it is kind of like runny black silicone. It fills in the imperfections in the bead and keeps the air in where it should be. You can't get enough insurance when dealing with 2 piece wheels, it takes to long to take them apart and get them back together.

sidewinder

These rims took forever, they are what they said they would be but not of craftsman quality. Rims were made used rims even this considered he could of used a grinder to remove the hammer and tire iron marks. Even the builder of the rims used a hammer to knock the SH*^ out of the assembly and left it banged up. Poor workmanship.

55Cameo

You don't have to get me to believe that. I had a nightmare of a time with them. It took about 5 months to get my 2-3 week wheels, axles and brakes. The wheels were going on my other project but they are such pieces of crap that they were a reason to bob a Deuce and get some decent looking wheels for the other. Daniel told me that they were show quality with all new shells, HA! They were old pitted and beat up used shells, the powder coating flys off if you look at them funny and they are crooked.

55Cameo

I hope that you have help! Also, did he send the o-rings with the wheels? If not, you have to put a 1/4" bead of silicone around one wheel half and let it sit up over night, making sure that it is uniform all the way around. If you don't let it set up, you will have a heck of a time getting the wheels back apart later. If he did, then position the o-ring around one rim half and use silicone around the sides to stick it to the wheel and let that set up then put them together. Don't put the silicone on the tire until the last minute. I would definately get some of the bead sealer if you can though.

sidewinder

i Got the O rings and siliconed them yesterday. I am putting together them now. I got a set together and will finish bolting after I get some sealer which I am off on a road trip soon. Thanks for help.

area52

Did either of you take time to do a little check on USA6x6 before you ordered? It is widely know on here and other boards that Daniel does not offer "quality workmanship". He is the last person I would purchase anything from.

Trango

I have used plastic inserts on a similar bolt-together wheel, and my trick was to place the assembled 16x20 XL tire/insert/wheel package under the front of my deuce and a half, and then use a high-lift between the vehicle and the wheel package as the "ram" in a gigantic lift to press the halves together. It worked very very well... although, as mentioned, it was incredibly slow (2 days to do all 4 tires) and when that hi-lift slipped (well,that was when I was hitting the whole works with a sledgehammer, you also need to persuade the beads to actually move), it became a rocket.

sidewinder

area52 said:
Did either of you take time to do a little check on USA6x6 before you ordered? It is widely know on here and other boards that Daniel does not offer "quality workmanship". He is the last person I would purchase anything from.
My fault for not looking here before I ordered rims. In fact I did not know about SS found out about the board 2 months into my order. A Day late. I am very new to the green fever and the ins and outs but I am a fast learner. :wink:

Any one here know where to get tire inerts for 16R 20 tires from a reputable dealer?

m.walker

Here's what I learned with my wheels from them , 1 Use a bead of silicone on each wheel half , 2 Let it set up long enough to fully cure ( some of mine took 2 days ! ) 3 Get the tires very warm before mounting them , 4 Get help these things are heavy ( I know I did mine by myself ! ) , 5 Be patient they're heavy , bulky and will try your patience . After only having to rework 2 I got them all to seal without the inserts . After all the work after a year I have 1 just developed a slow leak , not bad considering other stories ! The bad news is they made the big hole in the centers of my wheels too small and I spent 6 hours grinding them to fit !!! Good Luck and a quote from M1075 " you'll forget about all the hassles once you get done and don't have to fool with them anymore " . Which is true but you wont believe that till your done !

55Cameo

I wasn't aware of this web site until after purchasing the stuff from USA 6x6. I had a guy in Oklahoma tell me he was a good guy and went by that. After I started having problems I did more research and found out about all of the problems that everyone was having with them. Just about every site that deals with Rockwell axles bash them. I guess I'll just try and let people know of my experience with them now and let them make their decision from that.
P.S. Do not buy anything from USA 6x6 if you want to get it anytime soon or if you want quality products.