• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HELP - Need new Deuce Master Cylinder

houdel

I SEVERELY need a new master cylinder for my Deuce. My Deuce has developed a master cylinder leak. Saturn Surplus has new M/Cs for $100, but no rebuild kits, Ted's Trucks N Stuff wants $82.00 for a new M/C. Does anyone have a line on a more reasonably priced new or rebuilt Deuce Master Cylinder? I can't find anything listed in the Steel Soldiers X-reference list.

I'd consider rebuilding my current M/C but its too D*** cold to do it now (-10 F last night). I have to work outside, I don't even have an enclosed garage to rebuild a M/C in. I'll be lucky just to change out the M/C without freezing to death. I'll save the old M/C and rebuild it when temps get more reasonable.

Can anyone help me out here? I have to pour a pint of BFS (at a cost of $7.95/pint) in the M/C every time I need to move the Deuce! I finally got smart and bought 2 gallons of BFS at $83+ (including shipping) so at least I have enough BFS to keep me going for a while.

I need to get this M/C replaced. On both Monday and Tuesday my kid's school bus got stuck in the snow within 2 miles of my home. If I had a GOOD set of brakes on the Deuce I could have unstuck the school bus in about 15 minutes (and most of that time would have been shoveling snow off the hood of the truck so I could get it started and see well enough to drive it!). Instead the kids had to wait on the bus 45 minutes to an hour for the school system to send out a tow truck and get the bus unstuck!

Did I mention we get a LOT of snow out here?

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If Mark doesn't have one, you can try Sam Winers. In the most recent issue of MVM they offer them for $50. 330-628-4881 and ask for Robert Zetzer. Side note, I just got the deuce master cylinder kit I won on Ebay from AB Linn. It's a US made Newstar kit. No bad for $24.05 total including shipping. I'll need one more kit as I have one more core to rebuild.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you are in a hurry i'd do ebay. On a side note anyone seen the A3 split master cylinders for sale? I'd like to convert (didn't mean to hi-jack the thread-sorry). :D

BEASTMASTER

take the #s off the master cylinger and go ,or take it to a good napa or truck shop ,they can match it with a civy ,like a 5 ton truck

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"adding" the split brakes isnt as easy as just adding the split MC... You'll need to add an airpack also, more plumning, and get it all to work right. As far as I can determine, only the 1985 contract of USAF M35A2C's had the split system from the factory. Check the TM, it's in the library...

I checked, and do have a brand spanking new MC. NSN 2530-00-753-6267
$59.00 INCLUDES shipping... Can get it out the door today. PM me with yor details.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, 2nd airpack alot of plumbing and the new type master cylinder are needed. There is a manual specifically addressing how to do this. Should be easy just alot of work.

houdel

emmado22 said:
I checked, and do have a brand spanking new MC. NSN 2530-00-753-6267 $59.00 INCLUDES shipping... Can get it out the door today. PM me with your details.
PM sent

Jetnoise400

If Mark doesn't have one, you can try Sam Winers. In the most recent issue of MVM they offer them for $50. 330-628-4881 and ask for Robert Zetzer.
Watch out for the one Sam Winers sells. It's an import, and a bit on the cheap side (you get what you pay for). I picked up one for my old deuce a couple years ago, and was nothing but disappointed with the results.

It's your brakes, and it's a single circuit. Don't skimp on quality parts!

houdel

BEASTMASTER said:
wish i had that snow!!!!
How many semitrailer loads do you want? I'll give you all you want for free, you just pay the freight. The snowpack from plowing around my driveway is about 10' wide by 4'-5' high and solid, I can walk on it without even sinking in at all.

Monday and Tuesday of this week my kid's school bus got stuck in the snow (fortunately, both times within two miles of my house) and I had to drive down there and get them off the bus. The first time I actually took 9 kids off the bus, my three, my niece and nephew who live just up the street from me, and four neighbor kids who lived on a street that was even more snowbound than where the bus was stuck. The four neighbor kids were the only ones who lived on that street, if the school bus tried going down that street they wouldn't be able to get it out until the snow melted in the spring!

HNDRSONI - Don't worry about stealing the thread. I'd like to go to a split system also although I'd rather do it without the second airpack. Somewhere in another thread I read there was a commercial Chevrolet medium duty truck dual cylinder M/C which would bolt right up in place of the stock Deuce M/C. Can't find a part number though.

I'd do a diagonal split system though. Left front, right mid, left rear on one system, right front, left mid and right rear on the other system. That way you would have less "brake steer" effect if one half failed. The brake plumbing wouldn't be all that more difficult and it would save having to work in another airpack and M/C.

bottleworks

houdel said:
I'd like to go to a split system also although I'd rather do it without the second airpack. Somewhere in another thread I read there was a commercial Chevrolet medium duty truck dual cylinder M/C which would bolt right up in place of the stock Deuce M/C. Can't find a part number though.
So how would you only have one airpack? You want to only have half of your brake system have power assist?
It would be great if someone can find a good part number for a deuce dual circuit master cylinder.

houdel

bottleworks said:
houdel said:
I'd like to go to a split system also although I'd rather do it without the second airpack. Somewhere in another thread I read there was a commercial Chevrolet medium duty truck dual cylinder M/C which would bolt right up in place of the stock Deuce M/C. Can't find a part number though.
So how would you only have one airpack? You want to only have half of your brake system have power assist? It would be great if someone can find a good part number for a deuce dual circuit master cylinder.
My thought was that a single airpack provides boost to a single cylinder M/C providing air assisted braking hydraulic pressure to all six wheel cylinders. It seems logical, although not necessarily practical, that a single, dual cylinder M/C would work in the same way, except that there would be TWO hydraulic systems that COULD be activated by a single airpack. Got to do a bit of looking through the SMRAPI manual and the 209 and 361 series TMs to see if it would work though.

Sounds like a summertime project, too cold and snowy to work on it now. I'll have to be content replacing my stock single cylinder M/C for now so I have dependable brakes on the Deuce in the meantime. The split system will have to wait for a while.

Still would like that part number for the Chevvy medium truck M/C with the equal sized dual chambers though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks