• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help Needed, Leaking fuel

MudderMilitia

On my M1009, it started leaking fuel around the black plastic piece that bolts to the side of the injection pump. How do I go about fixing this? Can I just replace the plastic piece and call it a day? I took a picture of the area I'm talking about. I gotta leave for work in 2 hours. Would like to be able to fix this

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is not the plastic Vacuum Regulator Valve that is leaking. It is the o-ring on the throttle shaft. You can try to replace just the oring or you can have the injector pump rebuilt.

I am assuming you pump is original and has never been rebuilt. There are plastic and rubber pieces inside that wear out.

If you have the funds have it rebuilt before it strands you somewhere where you would rather not be. ~$300

The tech manual TM 9-2310-289-34 Section 3-39 shows how to disasemble the throttle shaft.

By the way. The Vacuum Regulator Valve is a hard item to find at the dealer and if you do it is expensive. Doghead resently purchased some from GL and has them listed in the classifieds.

Last edited:

skinnedknuckles

The first thing I would do is to take that fitting off of the top of the pump (the one with the rubber hose attached) , its a check valve, make sure that there is no black material in it ,if there is,the check valve is not doing its job and the pump case is getting to much internal pressure and its forcing fuel out past the throttle shaft. If you do not find any I would still pull off the top cover on the pump Held (on with three screws I believe) and look for any of that black crap inside. If you find any its time to rebuild the pump. I ran into this problem MANY times back in the 80's and 90's on GM 5.7 , 6.2 , 6.5 diesel engines. If I remember right the black stuff was part of the governor retainer.
Paul in Janesville, Wi

MudderMilitia

The first thing I would do is to take that fitting off of the top of the pump (the one with the rubber hose attached) , its a check valve, make sure that there is no black material in it ,if there is,the check valve is not doing its job and the pump case is getting to much internal pressure and its forcing fuel out past the throttle shaft. If you do not find any I would still pull off the top cover on the pump Held (on with three screws I believe) and look for any of that black crap inside. If you find any its time to rebuild the pump. I ran into this problem MANY times back in the 80's and 90's on GM 5.7 , 6.2 , 6.5 diesel engines. If I remember right the black stuff was part of the governor retainer.
Paul in Janesville, Wi
Ok, I will look into this. I stopped by a diesel repair shop before work and one of the workers and I took a look at it. Of course by the time I got there it was barely leaking at all. But it does appear that the leak is coming from the throttle shaft. He said he can rebuild it but I would have to bring it back on Tuesday. I drove it 40 minutes to work and now there are only a few drops on the ground. Not like the large puddle I had under it this morning