• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help! Newbie here

oxmason

I hope someone can direct me to the right place. I searched FAQ with no luck. I need to find a new tailgate window crank in black, but all i can find is chrome. Can somebody send me a link?

Thanks,

Chris

The last time I went looking for a black crank handle, I spent six months surfing eBay for one, then watched it go for twice what I was prepared to pay. If you really must have one in black, go to a junkyard, find a chrome one, sand off the chrome, prime, and paint.

As far as I know, there is no good retail source for the black cranks.

I'm debating the relative merits of converting to an electric rear window ever since my manual one gave up the ghost.

stampy

Electric is great! I have changed mine over years ago (same reason) works excellent. Hardest part was running the wires to the switch in the front of the cab. Just go to an LKQ or any Pick a part junkyard and pull the switch and the motor. Mine bolted right in.

NICK_M1009

I've installed a crome handle on my 09. I to painted it flat black before installing it. If your window goes up and down smoothly with no tight spots there is no problem with the manual handle. I had a broken handle when I bought mine, I took the whole thing apart oiled and greased what was neccesary and put it back together and had no problem with the cheap crome one. If the window is a pain to go up or down thats where the problems start.

mistaken1

Mine came from the national guard with a shiny chrome handle. Then it broke and I replaced it with another shiny chrome handle (to maintain the stock appearance :) )

edpdx

Yeah, eBay has 'em; but I bought a new chrome one for like $12. The whole crank. Sanded it down to the copper plate and scuffed it. Then the whole thing was shot with self-etching primer- like 4-5 coats. Followed with the flat black same number of coats. They take a beating and ever now-and-then I have to mask and re-coat with Black; but that's the beauty of having a camo rig... touch up is a rattle can away. :razz: