• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help on Engine Electrical Start System

Randy646

I am clueless on this, but here is goes. I have a 1986 M966 HMMWV. I was told by a military mechanic that the PCB is going out. The wait light blinks and makes a odd humming sound after it starts. The volt meter jumps around but settles after a couple minutes.

I obtained a year 2007 made Engine Electrical Start System made for an M998. 19207 ASSY 12469158-1. It was made by the Nartron Corporation. NSN: 6110-01-463-9260. It said it was made for High mobility multi-purpose wheeled vehicle (hmmwv).

Now for the clueless question...I know some will laugh. Where does the box and other part go? Or will it not work in the M966? I thought I got the right item just an updated one.

Last edited:

BLK HMMWV

The big box goes under the dash by the steering wheel.
Easiest thing to do is open up the hood.
Walk to the drivers side. You should see a big bunch of wires going into a connector on the flat spot right inside the engine compartment up by the windshield washer resevor.
That connector will need to be unscrewed.
Before you do any work on it you need to disconnect the battery cables from the batteries. Located under the front passanger seat. You can pull just the ground but I disconnect both the plus and ground cables.
You will also notice 4 small screws or nuts sticking up into the same flat spot. Once the big connector is un screwed those screws will be whats holding the box in.

BH

BLK HMMWV

Well depending on what control box you have he could be right. However some box's do that anyway .
The older box's used mechanical relays or contacts that you could hear click in. The new box's are all electonic without the big relay that you can hear.
I think the early Green lable KDS box did it and would keep cycling the glow plugs for a few minutes. thats what makes the needle jump on your gauge.
It didn't require the other part to be used or rather it would work without the other part.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need the 12469158-2 if your going to put in the black control box you have.
Its a round silver glo plug controller.
Its all silver with a grey top if its Nartron, and its sivler with a black top and a yellow band if its KDS brand.

Randy646

You need the 12469158-2 if your going to put in the black control box you have.
Its a round silver glo plug controller.
Its all silver with a grey top if its Nartron, and its sivler with a black top and a yellow band if its KDS brand.
Is that also called the Sensor temperature that came in the box? The numbers are small but look like it on the few you gave me.

EdMontana

and, don't forget to unplug the batteries before swap the parts.... or your new control box will toast.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks