• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help out a new guy!

Biggles

I want to buy a deuce off of GL there is 42 of them for sale in Iowa, and they all say they were driven on to the lot so I assume they can be driven off of the lot. Is there anything I should look for in my first 2 1/2 ton MV? I don't know a whole lot about them other than I desperately need one. Please help me make a good decision, the auction ends tomorrow!

Biggles

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get one, you will love it provided you can work on it. My suggestion is to go to the resource section and download these 2 TMs and read them extensively, I mean really extensively. The -10 will answer many of your questions. Let us know what you get.
TM 9-2320-361-10
TM 9-2320-361-20

Gotta have these to start!

Chevytruck

they say they were driven onto the lot, but doesn't say how long they have been sitting. might have to bleed the brakes if they have been sitting for a while.

and :ditto: on what recovry4x4 said

Biggles

Well i know I'll love it. I don't have an INDOOR place to work on it but I do own tools and I am mechanically competent and i work on pretty much everything i own. I am just worried about driving one off of the government lot sight unseen. It's a 5 hour drive at the speed limit from there to here and I expect it will be a heck of a lot longer at 50 MPH and I'm REALLY worried about getting there to pick up the truck and it not being road worthy. Thanks for the links I will print those out and look over them.

zb39

you could always ship it home and not have to worry about the drive, break downs etc.

Militoy

Well i know I'll love it. I don't have an INDOOR place to work on it but I do own tools and I am mechanically competent and i work on pretty much everything i own. I am just worried about driving one off of the government lot sight unseen. It's a 5 hour drive at the speed limit from there to here and I expect it will be a heck of a lot longer at 50 MPH and I'm REALLY worried about getting there to pick up the truck and it not being road worthy. Thanks for the links I will print those out and look over them.
I am always pleased and amazed at these kind of questions. Out here in "Kalifornia", this would not even be an issue. Any vehicle that dares to touch the roadway with its tires needs to have had all registration fees (soon to double) previously paid - as well as an inspection by the CHP and proof of insurance. Flat-towed vehicles here have to be registered as well - so it takes a mighty big trailer here to haul home a Deuce legally. I would LOVE to have the main worry be a 5 to 10 hour drive home with an untested truck!

Biggles

I am certain that the shipping would cost WAAAAAY too much although it would keep me from having to take a day off of work......maybe I will look into that after all.

Biggles

reason #493 I do not and would never like to live in CA, also reason #27 that I moved back here from England and never looked back.

Biggles

I have my max I just can't figure out which truck to bid on I was thinking the one in my previous post just because it is ten years newer than any of the others and has fairly low mileage comparatively and it doesn't have a winch so that should help keep the price down but maybe it's there because there is something wrong with it.......:| I guess I'll find out the auction ends tomorrow so unless these all go for a lot more than they had been in other parts of the country I'll get one of 'em.

Norseland

Well you can look at it like this,

have it shipped may be only 500 bucks or
take off work, have to drive there for sure, dont know that she will start or run, will it make the trip? and gas for the truck.

shipping starts sounding pretty good right?

Driving it is an adventure though.

good luck.

john

Biggles

Biggles is a nickname I picked up in England, it has nothing to do with my real name but rather is referring to the childrens book Hero of the same name. Biggles was a WW1 fighter Ace turned adventurer. In a completely un-related matter I am in fact a huge fan of Monty Python.

Biggles

I guess I need to figure out how much it will cost to ship it because if it were only 500 dollars it would be NO QUESTION........I can only hope it's that cheap.

Militoy

Biggles is a nickname I picked up in England, it has nothing to do with my real name but rather is referring to the childrens book Hero of the same name. Biggles was a WW1 fighter Ace turned adventurer. In a completely un-related matter I am in fact a huge fan of Monty Python.
Of course - the Pythons picked up on a lot of British history - and put it into their work. I have DVD copies of everything they recorded, and that's part of my standard fare in the rare instances I have to relax in front of the tele.

Let us know how the auction goes with the Deuce - and if and when you win one, I'm certain everyone on the board will be interested to read how your trip home in an untested truck goes!

pittdog

i agree with (militoy) long drive ! ins, chp regs, ... get some truck driver , ( goin you're way ) on a flat bed to drop it off ! best bet in you're situation !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks